very new...need help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomas77

Reaction score
I am an all-grain brewer but would love to try my hand at a wild ale. My mother in-law has a wine celler where she has been making wine for years. Crushing and squeezing the grapes, aging in wood barrells, the whole nine yards. I want to leave a beer in there to ferment and what would be the best way? Carboy or plastic bucket and could i just leave the top open all the way? The microflora must be amazing in that room so what are your thoughts and suggestions? Thanks.

In a carboy, with an airlock in another house.

Seriously, if your MIL uses the space for crushing grapes, you don't want to contaminate the area on the off chance of infecting one of her wines. Most of us just do beer, sanitize everything and boil all our wort. The risk of cross contamination that way is minimal, and even then, a lot of us will use separate hoses and other equipment that is hard to guarantee is sanitized.

In a carboy with an airlock and you should be OK. What temperature is the wine cellar? It could be too cold for year-around storage. You probably want it to get to the mid 60s or 70 for at least part of the year.

Latest posts

Back