Sour Dough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
was feeding my mother dough this morning and had a thought run through my head.... Why am I using cane sugar and not DME?

Anyone got a good reason?

I use regular flour/water to feed my starter, so my question would be why use sugar or DME?

As for a reason not to use DME, it's way more expensive than either cane sugar or flour.

I throw it in for when I have forgotten to feed it kinda like a kick start..... plus I have enough DME laying around that I'm not worried about the cost of a teaspoon of it here and there

I have never heard of using sugar to feed a sourdough starter, but I have used barley malt syrup in bread and it has been great. I keep my starter in the fridge, and feed it the day before I plan to use it with 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water. If it has been more than two weeks since I last used it I will feed it twice before using it. I have two wild yeast starters that I have had going for at least three years, one wheat and one rye. I also used to have a whole wheat starter, but since just use the other two. I feed the wheat with bread or all purpose flour and the rye with rye flour. I rarely ever add sugar to my bread, only things like sweet rolls, milk rolls, or challah or brioche. Just about every bread I make is flour, yeast, salt, and water.

I wonder how using sugar would perhaps change the flavor profile? Maybe I will split my starter next time and see what using sugar does instead of flour. Might be interesting.

I wonder how using sugar would perhaps change the flavor profile?

me too. as i'm sure you know the profile changes so much depending on the time of the first rise, so i wonder if feeding it sugar (= crack, basically!) will do something. please report back if you find anything interesting!

Back