cleaning dirty glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAmike

Reaction score
I had a glass carboy given to me and it is very dirty, it has stuff stuck to the inside. what would be the best way to clean it? I was thinking of soaking it in hot water for a while, then cleaning it with PBW.

Soak it in oxyclean is what I do. Get the no name brand from the store (cheap). Fill it up, add 2-4 scoops and let it sit for a few hours. Should do the job

if that doesn't work (never tried the oxyclean), I've found that using scome baking soda, a SMALL amount of water and they the carboy brush will remove just about anything. This of course is the last resort if soaking doesn't work.

I personally would just recycle it.

But, I use oxyclean on my equipment and have been very satisfied with the results. It also works well for removing labels from bottles.

PAmike said:
thanks, i gotta get a tub of that stuff anyway to wash my work clothes.

Just FYI: I have hard water also. So I use a cup of vinegar afterwards to get the cloudy precipitate off the glass. That gets it crystal clear.

A carboy brush will help get stubborn crud off after the soak. Good luck!

thanks, i gotta get a tub of that stuff anyway to wash my work clothes.

Oxyclean, B-Brite, PBW or Easy Clean, just to name a few. Put the recommended amount in the carboy, fill with hot water (think faucet water hot, not boiling) let soak for a day or two. This will get it clean. I have a long bottle brush I bend to scrub the shoulder under the inlet, but that's not usually really necessary. Once it's clean, rinse well and cap. Then all you need do on brew day is sanitize it.

Rick

oxyclean overnight... rinse... then oxyclean again, this time with a bottle brush... rinse very well.

oxyclean is my friend, because i do EVERYTHING in glass carboys

I'd use bleach. a quarter to half cup of bleach, and fill to the top with COLD water. Let sit for a few days. Rinse with hot water.

Thats why they make pbw, soak it in hot water overnight,scrub it with a carboy brush also. Rinse/flush well. Do it again if it makes ya feel better. I like to put mine on its side on a towel,capit with some(i use neutral natural dish soap/baking soda cleaner 1/2 full inside and rock it/useing the carboy brush,just for basic cleaning after primary.
Just the hot water and pbw should just do it really.Its suppose to dissolve junk where we cant get to it.

This is how I get rid of krausen ring.
Audio is on Croatian but you'll get the point:

[ame]http://youtu.be/4u81YyhnNiw[/ame]

I made this cleaner from threaded rod, few nuts with rings and piece of microfiber mop. Pierce two holes in middle of mop (one on top an other on bottom), put rod trough it, secure with nuts and drive :)

Back