SET620 PID Temp Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csuf_kmcglynn

Reaction score
Hello... currently I am working on an automated HERMS system using fleebay SET620 temp controllers, a digital timer, solenoid valves, and a plc for a senior project... my question is regarding the PID temp controller as it appears the temp reading are always incorrect... I am using some type k thermocouples from here
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...nsors/Probes_(with_Hex_Nipple)/THMK-H06L01-01
I know some of the users here have used this PID temp controller and has anyone experienced this... the owners manual claims that the INTy (temp sensor) is normally set on RTD PT10 however it seems like it was actually set to type K... this is going by the symbol that it displays shows a backwards 4 which I assumed was for K... this is really making me go crazy because it almost seems that the scale is off because after using the correction factor, it will eventually read a lower temperature then the actual... everything on the system works but correct temperatures on the PID temp controller... if anyone knows the fix, please let me know... thank you

How far off is it reading? Is it a linear scale? Have you tried all the other options in the controller and verified that you have it wired for type J rather than K?

Also, do you have any connectors installed between the probe and the PID or are the leads from the probe directly wired into the back of the PID with no other hardware between?

EDIT: AH... nevermind. I see that the probe has only 3" leads on it, so I am assuming you extended the leads. Did you use proper thermocouple wire to make the entensions? Thermocouples are sensitive little boogers and should use proper thermocouple wire and connectors or the readings can go wonky.

unfortunately i do not have any type j thermocouples laying around... as time goes on the temperature difference of actual and pid reading increases... i verified the voltage reading while running with a multimeter and it matched the pid reading... as far as my connections, all are soldered in for the extension using proper thermocouple wiring... i am hoping that i can just use an rtd for this... i am going to borrow one from the lab and test it out probably tomorrow before some finals so i dont just purchase them thinking that is the fix

the spec sheet covers both their type j and type k thermocouples that they carry, unfortunately I ordered the type k... i assume it is a horrible response time... later today im going to test it out with an actual platinum rtd... hopefully that will work

replaced it with an rtd and had to bend it up cause the detector was too low for the true fluid temp... now just need to do that to the other 2 pots

Back