Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsdaddy

Reaction score
i bottled my beer last thursday. My newbeeee question is:

Should there be bubbles on the top of each beer in the bottle or not??

Mine do not have bubbles and i have not opened one yet to determine if there is carbination.

Thanks for the help

Not necessarily. Your not looking for something on top of your bottled beer resembling the krausen that forms while your beer is in the fermenter.

The Co2 should stay in the beer once the void at the top of your bottles is pressurized. That gas pressue keeps the remaining Co2 in the beer.

Go ahead and try one. I think it's good for new brewers to get a feel for how their beer progresses. Don't be disappointed if it's not carbonated though. As you probably know it can sometimes take 3+ weeks. I've had beers that take only 1 week, and others that take much much longer.

There is really no way to determine visually carbonation. SOmetimes folks see krausens on top but most of the time not...the only way to insure carbonation, is to give the beer enough time to carbonate. That's it...If you added sugar, you beer will carb when it's time.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Back