Bottle sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srl135

Reaction score
Done a lot of reading and not sure if i royally screwed up or not.. just wondering what the consensus on here would be.

I bottled my first batch on Friday night, the bottles were purchased new but were dusty. I didnt scrub them, just submerged (and filled) them several at a time in an idophor solution for a minimum of 3 minutes each, then placed them on clean diswasher racks to drip clean. I immediately filled them while they were dripping dry. I guess i thought the idophor solution would take care of everything since they had never been used before...

The concern i am thinking of is whether my 'sanitation' was not adequate. Anyone ever done anything close to it?

I am planning to open a bottle at day 7 just to see how it smells and if there is any carbonation forming, i am aware it will most likely be a sacrifice.

If i sacrifice a bottle, anything in particular i should look/smell for?

RDWHAHB - all will likely be fine. It is best to cleanse and then sanitize, but particularly given these were new bottles I'm sure it'll all work out.

There's nothing you can really look/smell for at just 7 days in the bottle. Any off flavors, beer gushing, etc. is more likely to be attributed to a very young bottle conditioned beer versus an infection. You can certainly open one up at 7 days to give her a taste, but never attempt to troubleshoot until the bottles have been conditioning for three weeks - at a minimum.

sounds good, thanks guys.

I guess i am just getting anxious now that i have my first batch in the bottles and my second batch in the primary.. i just want to drink it already!!

soo ive got one more noob question.. what in the world does RDWHAHB mean?

You gave the bottles a nice soak in Iodophor, so assuming it was used at the recommended concentration and the bottles were not soiled, I think you'll be OK. If I remember correctly, a 60 second contact time with 1 tablespoon of Iodophor per 5 gallons of cold water will be effective.

By a "sacrifice", I hope you don't mean to dump the beer! If it doesn't smell or taste sour, you've done everything just fine and you should drink your "sacrifice".

When you're finished with your bottled home brew, give them a good hot water rinse and even a quick brush just to make sure they're clean for your next batch.

soo ive got one more noob question.. what in the world does RDWHAHB mean?

RDWHAHB = Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew! The mantra of many home brewers.

I for one think worrying imparts off flavors and helps degrade the quality of ones home brew :)

my advice, don't touch a bottle till the 2 week mark... sounds you like you practiced great sanitation.... give it two weeks and let some of the CO2 get into solution. You might get a gusher at 1 week that will make you think something is wrong when in fact its fine, just needs time.

RDWHAHB = Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew! The mantra of many home brewers.

I for one think worrying imparts off flavors and helps degrade the quality of ones home brew :)

LMAO, good explanation! Thanks for the help guys.. oh and i can stop worrying but unfortunately im still waiting to taste the fist homebrew.. Patience may be a virtue, but i dont have it. lol

Back