Random Fermentation in secondary ? Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and went to check on my baby (Two Hearted Ale Clone) and saw this. I dry hopped and this beer has been in the secondary for 7 days now. The hops all floated to the surface and there is some bubbling going on.

Is this fermentation ? Any idea what is going on ? The beer doesn't seem to be clearing and there is air lock bubbling. I broke my hydrometer so no gravity readings were taken. I moved to secondary after 10 days and no air lock activity. I know air lock activity is not a good measure of activity but it is all I had.

Thanks for the help !

Last edited by a moderator:
Just leave it be.
Get yourself a hydrometer. Give it a week or two, and take a sample. Three days later, take another sample.

If FG hasn't changed, it's ready. But nothing wrong with leaving it even longer to let the yeast clean up a bit more.

It looks like off-gassing. Hydrometer would be great, however since you already racked to secondary - 7 days is about as long as you want, time to get it moving off the hops. Off gassing could because of simple air temp change and the CO2 is being released. I would not consider these bubbles fermentation. When I dry hopped the other week, I saw the same and proceeded as my plan. All is well.

It looks like off-gassing. Hydrometer would be great, however since you already racked to secondary - 7 days is about as long as you want, time to get it moving off the hops. Off gassing could because of simple air temp change and the CO2 is being released. I would not consider these bubbles fermentation. When I dry hopped the other week, I saw the same and proceeded as my plan. All is well.

So you are thinking I should bottle now ?

I would. I did infact just the other night..... Too much times on hops will cause 'grassy' and nasty flavors

Back