How long can beer sit in a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I brewed this batch last December but have been really bust this past year. I kept holding off on bottling it because I am going to build a keezer. I have all the components to build it, I just cant seem to find the time. Anyway the beers been sitting for 10 months and now I want to start brewing again. If the beer is bad, I have no problem dumping it but I dont want to waste good beer if its not bad. Also, I dont want to take the time to bottle it if it is bad. So, how long can beer sit in the carboy? By the way. I've kept water in the airlock and you can see there is pressure still built up in there.

If you have a turkey baster or some other way of drawing off just a few ounces... give it a taste. If it tastes fine, bottle it. If it tastes like monkey butt-

There was one guy on here who had a beer in a carboy for 2 years, so that's not the problem. My only concern is that this is not one of those styles that gets better with age and tastes better early on.

Sounds like you're the one blazing the trail. In the name of brewing science, I think its essential you bottle it up and find out. And, of course, let us know how it turns out.

If it tastes good then bottle it up. You may need to add yeast when bottling so your beer carbs up though.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and bottle it up anyway. I would rather waste time than waste beer. LOL

How did it turn out!? I just bottled a Strong Belgian after 7 weeks in the carboy. It tasted like heaven, warm and clovey, perfect for the coming fall.

Back