soo how likes rum/?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbo

Reaction score
I love sailior jerry good stuff. anyone else? I use rum and lime and sakt and coke, Time to relax DWand homebrew,'

Love
thanks, Benny.

Lots of typos...... I'm guessing you had some rum before you posted. Good for you for making it a true "drunken rambling". Rum is cool I guess.

well yes and no i di rink rum and thens i darank hombrew beer but it was lots of rum. drumk is a phase of the minds

ahhh yep... pyrates xo is my favorite but appleton is great, and so is myers special rums. For our everyday goto rum my wife and I like Bacardi and DonQ.

Big Rum fan. Ron Zacappa 23 yr, Ron Centanario 20yr and Zaya 12yr. Sailor Jerry is good mixing rum. If you mix the above mentioned rum, pirates will hunt you down, kill you and confiscate it.

I looooove rum. Pyrat XO is very good, I'm also a huge fan of Pampero Anniversario. If you're looking for a sweet rum, Dogfish Head's Brown Honey rum is exceedingly easy to drink. I also love Rogue's hazelnut rum, the hazelnut really comes out in a rum & coke. i would say rum is probably my favorite alcoholic beverage. Unfortunately, I can't distill in the states, and no bar ever has a decent selection of it.

I have a very special place in my heart for Brugal. Hot day in Santo Domingo, sitting in a little open air bar with 6 seats, drinking it on the rocks, hoping the ice won't give you the ****s. Then hopping on public transportation, and hoping you sober up before you get home to your evangelical christian host family.
Mmm.

I looooove rum. Pyrat XO is very good, I'm also a huge fan of Pampero Anniversario. If you're looking for a sweet rum, Dogfish Head's Brown Honey rum is exceedingly easy to drink. I also love Rogue's hazelnut rum, the hazelnut really comes out in a rum & coke. i would say rum is probably my favorite alcoholic beverage. Unfortunately, I can't distill in the states, and no bar ever has a decent selection of it.

Pyrat XO is good, but it's almost like a spiced rum. Hints of apple, cinnamon and other things. The Ron Zacappa 23yr is by far my favorite rum. It's a sweet rum - as rum should be - and drinks great neat from a brandy snifter or wine glass.

Not a fan of the Pampero however. Got a bottle, and I thought it was rather harsh (I like to drink all rum neat) and very dry, so it ended up going into mai tai's. Which on another note, mai tai's DO NOT have pineapple in them. I hate it when a place will pass off something as a mai tai and it has pineapple in it.

Ron Zacapa gets my #1 vote. Pyrat and Sailor Jerry will do just fine as well since we cant get Zacapa in Washington unless we bring it in ourselves.

The Ron Zacappa 23yr is by far my favorite rum. It

+1 for Ron Zacapa !!

A buddy turned me on to the stuff. He put a shot in a plastic cup...didn't tell me what it was. I sipped it...not knowing what I was going to get. Pure honey dew vine water...the stuff is an elixer! I used to only drink single malt scotch, when I wanted a sipping whiskey. Now...Ron Zacapa is one of my favorites.

We took some to a bar down in San Juan. The Bar Tender was a hardcore aficionado of Rum. He went through a whole process of cleansing a brandy snifter...flamed it to warm the glass...poured a little Ron Zacapa in...swirled it around...held it up, looking at the light passing through it...and finally buried his nose in the glass...taking in a deep whiff. NEVER tasted it actually. And stepped back and said "Magnificent!" We didn't even tell him what kind of RUM it was. I'm more of a TASTE it kinda guy...but whatever.

If you haven't tried it before...you owe it to yourself!

I'd sure like that Mai Tai recipe if you don't mind sharing :)

+1 for Ron Zacapa !!

A buddy turned me on to the stuff. He put a shot in a plastic cup...didn't tell me what it was. I sipped it...not knowing what I was going to get. Pure honey dew vine water...the stuff is an elixer! I used to only drink single malt scotch, when I wanted a sipping whiskey. Now...Ron Zacapa is one of my favorites.

We took some to a bar down in San Juan. The Bar Tender was a hardcore aficionado of Rum. He went through a whole process of cleansing a brandy snifter...flamed it to warm the glass...poured a little Ron Zacapa in...swirled it around...held it up, looking at the light passing through it...and finally buried his nose in the glass...taking in a deep whiff. NEVER tasted it actually. And stepped back and said "Magnificent!" We didn't even tell him what kind of RUM it was. I'm more of a TASTE it kinda guy...but whatever.

If you haven't tried it before...you owe it to yourself!

I'd sure like that Mai Tai recipe if you don't mind sharing :)

1 part Dark Rum(St. James 15yr)
1 part lighter Rum(Appleton Estate Extra)
1/2 part Curacao(Grand Marnie)
1 part Fresh lime juice
1/4 part simple syrup(pure cane syrup)
1/4 part Orgeat

Spent Lime wedge in the shaker with the ice, garnish with mint.
Basically how trader vic made it.

I'm a big fan of rum. It is too delicious for my own good. I admit that I usually mix rum with coke and that I really haven't tasted many good sipping rums. I mostly drink Goslings, Mount Gay, and Bacardi.

Sitting here, finishing off the last of my bottle of zaya 12yr. It's sad it is gone, but it is so good.

I'm not sold on rum yet. Anyone know a good sipping rum that doesn't taste like cough medicine?

Barbancourt! Its a rum made from free run suger not molassas so it doesn't have that syrupy feeling. I prefer the 8 year and its awesome. Then again if you can get your hands on some Havana Club 7 year that's even better, just don't tell uncle Sam :cross:

As for white rum Ten Cane is a great high end rum. Great in mojitos and other mixed drinks. I prefer the dark stuff but I've got a bottle of Havana Club 3 year (Thank you duty-free :) ) that's just begging to be opened.

Barbancourt! Its a rum made from free run sugar not molassas so it doesn't have that syrupy feeling. I prefer the 8 year and its awesome. Then again if you can get your hands on some Havana Club 7 year that's even better, just don't tell uncle Sam :cross:

As for white rum Ten Cane is a great high end rum. Great in mojitos and other mixed drinks. I prefer the dark stuff but I've got a bottle of Havana Club 3 year (Thank you duty-free :) ) that's just begging to be opened.

IMO, both of those are mixing rums, not sipping rums. They are both very dry. I don't know about the Havana.

Also, I don't know of a high end rum that uses just molasses as a base. They pretty much all use all the juices from the cane, and some of the really high end stuff uses only the first press. (like evoo)
Rhum Agricole mandates this in order to be called Agricole, as it is an appellation like the appellations in French wine (Burgundy for example). These come for the French speaking Caribbean islands.
Still these are dryer than the super premium rums coming from Central America.

Morbo said:
It really was a good weekend...

On a more sober note I usually prefer this to Sailor Jerry for sipping. Really good stuff-

http://www.ronsantateresa.com/site_eng/productos_1796.html

Santa Teresa 1796

I would like to try that, I'll have to see if we can get a bottle of that here in IL without buying a whole case.

Back