leave it on???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodspointbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all---

I'm new to kegging and it seems everyone does it different. When I force carbonate (12 psi?) do I leave the gas on, or do I hit it with the gas and then turn it off and let it sit for 5 days? I have heard other faster ways as well, but I'm patient. I'm more concerned with whether or not I have to leave the gas on while it's carbonating, or if I shoot it with gas, and let it sit.
Thanks!!!

Hey all---

I'm new to kegging and it seems everyone does it different. When I force carbonate (12 psi?) do I leave the gas on, or do I hit it with the gas and then turn it off and let it sit for 5 days? I have heard other faster ways as well, but I'm patient. I'm more concerned with whether or not I have to leave the gas on while it's carbonating, or if I shoot it with gas, and let it sit.
Thanks!!!

Leave the gas on. As the beer absorbs the co2, more will come from the tank into the keg so you need to have it on. If you're using 12 psi, that's fine, but it might take about 10 days at 40 degrees or so to get the correct carbonation.

If you are patient enough priming sugar is likely cheaper.

When I am force carbing I tend to hit it with about 40psi, turn the gas off, give it a couple hours, hit it again, wait a couple hours.

Then back it down to 20 psi, turn the gas off between hits about every eight to twelve hours for a couple days.

Then a couple days at 15 psi.

I tend to serve around 10 psi, once the beer has soaked up 15psi 3-4 times I set the gas to ten and leave it on the last few days.

Works for me any way.

If you are patient enough priming sugar is likely cheaper.

When I am force carbing I tend to hit it with about 40psi, turn the gas off, give it a couple hours, hit it again, wait a couple hours.

Then back it down to 20 psi, turn the gas off between hits about every eight to twelve hours for a couple days.

Then a couple days at 15 psi.

I tend to serve around 10 psi, once the beer has soaked up 15psi 3-4 times I set the gas to ten and leave it on the last few days.

Works for me any way.

This makes no sense??? Why not leave it connected, then as the co2 absorbs into the beer the tank will supply more. It's the same thing without all the hooking and unhooking.

I've found that 24-48 hours @ 30psi connected carbs my beer just fine. Very simple method. I usually taste @ 24 hours and most of the time leave it go for another day. 37F or so. No shaking, no on and off.

I've found that 24-48 hours @ 30psi connected carbs my beer just fine. Very simple method. I usually taste @ 24 hours and most of the time leave it go for another day. 37F or so. No shaking, no on and off.

This is what I do... 30psi for 30 hours, then drop it to serving pressure. It is fully carbed.

If you hit it with gas, then turn off the gas, it wont carb. It will need to absorb CO2, so if you turn it off, it wont, and will be flat.

This is what I do... 30psi for 30 hours, then drop it to serving pressure. It is fully carbed.

If you hit it with gas, then turn off the gas, it wont carb. It will need to absorb CO2, so if you turn it off, it wont, and will be flat.
Ditto. I set it for 30psi, let it sit for ~48 hrs., then purge and drop it down to serving pressure. I used to do the 'shake-the-keg' thing, but stopped long ago. Works like a champ!
:mug:

I guess most of my beers have been kegged for months by the time they hit the tap anyway, but if it were a NEW beer, Conpewter is right.

I think the big point is make sure you chill the beer. You can search on here or google for carbonation charts, or beersmith can tell you at what pressure you will eventually want it at.

I generally carb at serving pressure for a few weeks, but I have 70 gallons in the works right now, so I have plenty of beer around to drink and can be patient. 30 psi for 24-36 hours works and you can always vent if you do over pressure.

Back