Forgot to add maltodextrin to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpo

Reaction score
So, I brewed last week and the recipe called for 8 oz maltodextrin. I forgot to add it that night, but I remembered the next morning. I boiled it in a few cups of water, cooled it to around 70 and added it to the fermenter. It should probably be ok, right?

It's fine. It's not all that uncommon to add ingredients to a beer during or after fermentation for all kinds of reasons. As long as you are sanitary and minimize splashing/oxidation, there are no problems in doing so.

At the risk of being a n00b giving advice so I can be bashed for it in the other thread:

You should be fine. The maltodextrine isn't readily fermentable anyways, you're just adding it for body and mouth feel. The whole point of throwing it in the boil with the rest of the malt is to sterilize it - you accomplished that with the boil you did. In theory, you could add it at bottling if you really wanted to.

I second what Cisco Kid said.

I'm not a big fan of MD as it's used in most recipes.

Its purpose is to thicken a watery brew.

I recommend you brew and ferment as usual then at bottling/kegging time determine if it has the body you planned for it. If not remove some beer from the bottling bucket and bring it to a boil and add the MD to it...you don't want to use water as it will water down your FG a bit, not much, but it will.

Back