What about dust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I regularly leave beer/Apfelwine in the fermentor for months at a time, and often end up with quite a bit of dust on the rim of the carboy. I've been cleaning it off the best I can, and sanitizing the gap before I pull out the airlock, but am wondering what tecniques you all might use to aviod this? Saran wrap? Would I be asking for mold growth?

Thanks.

Get those carboy hoods - the orange caps with two openings on them. Be sure to get the right size as they do vary depending on the size of the carboy and if you use better bottles. This covers the entire opening of the carboy and leaves no groove to collect dust like a rubber bung does. I also like them for racking as I can do it in a closed system using my aquarium pump and filter.

GT

+1 carboy caps. if you're not into spending $2 x however many carboys you have, then i would try some sanitizer solution in a spray bottle. give the whole top a good spray to remove / wash away as much dust as possible. let it sit for a few and anything that does make its way inside won't be too hazardous.

+1 on carboy caps, and +1 on a squirt bottle with star san. Not only does the squirt bottle remove dust but can be used for many other applications

Back