Dry Hopping adds flavour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
I always thought dry hopping only added to the aroma of a beer. I kegged up my pale ale last week and realized I had forgotten to dry hop it. So, I threw an ounce of fuggles in a tea ball and popped it into the keg. Two days later, it tastes completely different. I was expecting to smell the fuggles but I never expected much in the way of flavour change. Any thoughts on this?

Alcohol pulls flavors out of other things. So dry hopping can (and most times will) bring some flavor along for the ride. It really depends on the alcohol content and hop being used (amount of hop oils).

You're not out of your mind! Think of soaking oak or vanilla beans or a spice in vodka. You'll notice the aroma and flavor start to get pulled out.

Aroma increases our perception of flavor.

Try this. Taste something while plugging your nose. Not much flavor. Then take a big smell of what you are tasting. Guess what it will have much more flavor.

beergolf said:
Aroma increases our perception of flavor.

Try this. Taste something while plugging your nose. Not much flavor. Then take a big smell of what you are tasting. Guess what it will have much more flavor.

This. Our taste really only perceives sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami. The rest is made up by the nose.

Back