Motorized mill project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASYMetric

Reaction score
Well, been brewing for a few years now and decided to make the jump into all grain last year. Not that we weren't making good beer, just wanted more control over the process. It did not take long to realize that buying bulk grain was the way to go, especially with the cost of shipping or fuel to drive to the LHBS for supplies ( crushing included ). The assistant brewmaster purchased a shiny new Crankandstein 3D ( that thing is sweet ). My job was to build the stand, so I though I would share the process.

Once I purchased the 16ga 1x1 tubing, I broke out my trusty Snap-On MIG and proceeded to weld up the structure. After welding and grinding ( which sucks by the way ) I shot it with grey primer, then a really cool hammered copper color.

IMG_2283.jpg

Here is a close-up

IMG_2293.jpg

I also designed the stand to use 3/8'' elevator bolts for those uneven places I might put it.

IMG_2294.jpg

More to come later...

Great start! DIY doesn't have to look good to get the job done. But if you want the extra credit, you gotta bring the bling! Can't wait to see where you go from here.

Great start! DIY doesn't have to look good to get the job done. But if you want the extra credit, you gotta bring the bling! Can't wait to see where you go from here.

+1 Who doesn't like a little bling on brew day...

Assembling the electrics today, will post the results this afternoon.

Now for the electrics. Below are the required items for assembly.

IMG_2289.jpg

Two short cords with male plug ends. The motor plugs into the switched outlet, and the switch box to an extension cord. I was even able to find a nice brushed copper cover plate.

IMG_2295.jpg

Shot with motor plugged in. The motor size chosen was a standard 120V, 1/4 HP, 1725 RPM. Shouldn't be hard to find if I need a replacement.

IMG_2298.jpg

what's the top of that white table you have there? I like it, might have to get me some metal and weld one up.

Its a piece of 3/8" plate steel. I needed a flat level surface for welding. Since it's bare steel, that lets me attach the ground clamp from the MIG directly to the table, then once I lay out my pieces I can weld them without having to clamp the ground directly to the pieces I'm welding. The welding table frame is 11 ga 2 x 2 square tubing.

Installed the top this evening, I picked up a 24 x 24 x 3/4 piece of oak veneered plywood from Lowes, cut the hole for the mill then stained and sealed it.

I wanted to place the mill dead center instead of offset to one side. The mill was ordered with the 1/2’’ shaft option, but it only extends 2 1/8’’. That left me with 2 choices. Cut a slit in the table top for the pulley or extend the shaft. I chose to extend the shaft. I cut an 8’’ piece of 1/2’’ round bar and drilled the set screw points for the pulley and lovejoy connector, then installed the shaft into 2 pillow blocks to secure it.

According to Crankandstein, I would need about 200 RPM at the mill. So with a 1 1/2’’ pulley on the motor running 1725 RPM a 12’’ pulley would get me around 215 RPM at the mill – close enough.

The mill does not come with any side plates, I’m good with that, I like diamond plate anyway…

Although it required a few more parts, it worked out great.

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

After taking it off the table, this thing is getting a little heavy. Gonna have to rethink the elevator bolts and put it on some casters.

IMG_2545.jpg

Gonna give it the finishing touches this weekend.

That is freakin' sweet! :rockin: Very nice job in the finishing touches - definitely a project I want to undertake so I can have both hands free for milling instead of using the drill.

Where did you find the motor and pulleys?

That is freakin' sweet! :rockin: Very nice job in the finishing touches - definitely a project I want to undertake so I can have both hands free for milling instead of using the drill.

Where did you find the motor and pulleys?

Thank you, The 1 1/2" pulley and belt I found at a local farm supply store ( tractor supply ). The 12" pulley I ordered from Grainger. My father donated the motor to the cause... He is a heating contractor so he had a few used motors laying around, but you could find them at the same places ( farm supply or Grainger ).

Casters it is. I found some 3/8" threaded stem locking casters to replace the elevator bolts.

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Attached the hopper ordered from Crankandstein. It looks like the hopper might hold 7 - 10 lbs. of grain. Not sure that's going to be enough. Our smallest recipe is 10 lbs.

IMG_2752.jpg

That thing lookd great. Are you planning on guarding the belt?

To be honest I haven't thought about it. It could be ( and probably should be ) done, but I load the hopper then flip the switch and wait until its done.

Milling is early in the day for me so I shouldn't be into the brew too much at that point...

Back