How does adding honey affect ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozorgnax

Reaction score
An example: After the boil I take a hydrometer reading (OG1). After about a week in the primary I add some honey in the fermenter and take another reading (OG2). After the honey has been fermented and I measure yet again the gravity (FG). How do I calculate ABV?

Well according to beersmith's figgures 1lb of honey added about 4 points to a 5 gallon batch so just add however many points may bee needed based on the amount of honey to your first OG reading, figgure ABV after it's finished off your new OG and FG as normal.

Well according to beersmith's figgures 1lb of honey added about 4 points to a 5 gallon batch so just add however many points may bee needed based on the amount of honey to your first OG reading, figgure ABV after it's finished off your new OG and FG as normal.

So just to get this straight if I had an OG of 1.040 and then added 1lb of honey in a 5 gallon batch, the OG would pump up to 1.044, correct?

Just be careful with the ratios.

The table in How to Brew states: (percentages are based on weight of total fermentables)

3-10% = For a subtle honey flavor in most light ales and lagers.

11-30% = For a distinct honey flavor note to develope. Stronger hop flavors, caramelized or roasted malts, spices, or other ingredients should be considered when formulating the recipe, to balance the strong honey flavors at these levels.

and 30+% = well you shouldnt be taking that route anyways.

I just picked up some macadamia nut honey from my brew shop, cant wait to use it!

I've had good luck staying in the 20% of total ingredients range (which has been about 2 to 2.5 lbs). In herb beers like coriander and now basil (can't wait to keg this one) seems to compliment herbs well. I tend to use local honey if possible.

Well according to beersmith's figgures 1lb of honey added about 4 points to a 5 gallon batch

that doesn't sound right. honey is definitely more than 20ppg. it varies, but it should be around 30-35ppg, so 6-7 points

Back