American Amber Ale American Amber/Wheat/Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Fermentis Safeale US-5
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
n/a
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 days at 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks at 70F
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
This is an easy drinker with hints of an American Ale as well as a Blonde Ale.
Conjured this up one afternoon..
An Amber American Ale/Blonde with some Wheat..

3lbs. Extra-Light DME
1lb. Amber DME

1lb. Wheat Malt (milled)

1oz. Willamette Hops

Steep 1lb. Wheat Malt @ 150F for 25 mins.
Bring to boil and add Extra-Light and Amber DME.
Hop for 45 mins with 1/2 oz. of Willamette.
Hop another 15 mins with additional 1/2 oz.

Cool and transfer to fermenter to pitch Fermentis Safeale US-5.

Isnt light malt extract kinda a combo of amber and extra light extract malt? It must be,but minus the pilsner malt?

not sure, havent ever used lactose before. id have to hear more from you guys or look into it. this beer turned out really terrific the way i outlined in the recipe. is there maybe a streamlined way you see that i could have brewed it?

I'm gonna try this next, only with Golden Light instead of Extra-Light (I like a little more color).

When it comes time to bottle, I'll steal a few grams of lactose from my next batch of cider and add it to one bottle for comparison.

cool. i'm excited that someone else is trying one of my recipes!! first time. the willamette was nice. this brew had just enough amber to give it a bit of that dark bite, and then with the wheat I steeped gave it a bit of that belgian feel. it really is a mutt beer lol

That's sort of the purpose of homebrewing isn't it? If all you ever brew is clones of commercial beers, you're doing it wrong.

Today was Brew Day! I had a little f-up with the wheat, spilled it out of the filter bag. No worries though, got it back in the bag thanks to my hastily sanitized pasta strainer and fermented bucket.

I did have some reservations when I took the OG reading though, I only got .030

Is that what it's supposed to be?

should have been a little higher. did you get the wheat malt crushed/milled by the shop? i steeped it at 155F for 25 mins before removing the bag and adding the 4lbs of dry malt extracts. the extracts alone should have yielded a gravity of at least 1.032 (and then the wheat would have added more)... its not a big beer, just mild with about 4.5%abv.

Yes it was milled at the shop, I don't have the equipment to do it myself. You think that lost a bit?

I'm really not concerned about a .002 difference though, should be an easy drinker if nothing else.

Well it's looking like you're missing a pound of something. OG should have been 1.039 if the steeping of that wheat hit at least 75% efficiency =/ What temp was the wort when you took the gravity reading? Depending on the temperature of the sample the gravity could have read lower or higher as well..

strange... and you added 3lbs Extra Light, 1lb Amber, and steeped the wheat?

whatever happened i'm sorry if it was from misinformation on my behalf. just not as much alc. in this one I guess =/

My final recipe was 3# Golden Light, 1# Amber, and 1# CaraWheat steeped. I'm actually looking forward to a lower gravity brew this time. My last beer was a particularly heavy porter.

Alrighty then. I love the flavor it created by infusing an amber, a wheat, and a light. It was just enough of each to get a little bit of what I like out of each style, and the Willamette hops are a very light hop and I only used a little..

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to try this beer: even with all the problems I had, it aged extremely well. By the time I got to the last 6-pack this week, it was one of the best beers I have ever made. If I had the patience to brew a batch and let it alone for a year, I would.

I just started a batch of this! It's actually my first batch. It smells great out of the fermentor and i can't wait to bottle and taste it!

Unfortunately i couldn't follow your recipe entirely because my brew shop ran out of the AME but i'm sure it will be great in any case. Thanks for the recipe!

I used this recipe as a base, ended up doing a partial mash of it, but added lemon/orange zest to the secondary, by far the best beer I have made to date. Everyone loves it, need to start another one!

I have brewed the beer that scottmd06 posted as well as the beer that DMartin brewed. These two are totally different beers, but AWSOME. I will be making them both again and again. I think I may try a different hop next time or more of the same hop. Not sure yet. Maybe cascade..? I have posted pic's of the two so you can get the idea of color. Scottmd06 on the right and DMartin on the left. All in all two great beers that are real easy to make very easy to drink. They par great with just about any food.

My results for scottmd06 brew was not bad. My OG was higher by two and my FG was higher by 1. This beer is very clean and smooth refreshing taste with a little citrus/spice at the end. I found if you left it in the fridge for at least 3 to 5 days it was crystal clear when pored and has nice bubbles floating up for as long as you drink it. For me that was abut 2 mins. This is not exactly like a blond but it is a lot more on the blonde side of the beer spectrum then the DMartin's batch.

Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV: 4.50%
IBU: estimate 13
Color: 4L

DMartin's brew came out different. Not sure what his OG and FG was but here are my below. I know that they would be off because there are different ingredients. The ABV came out a little higher but not much then Scottmd06. It has a nice multie aroma. It is also very clean and refreashing taste with not as much citrus/spice taste. But yet very smooth and good. Very drinkable and more on the amber side of the spectrum. This beer will also clear up very very nice if left in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.

Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV: 4.08%
IBU: 14
Color: 14L

I love making Beer! I can' wait to make more......

IMG_0588.jpg

I may have to try this one. Yeah I know, digging up an oldish thread. I wonder how this'd do with some rye in it as well?

-Kingboomer

Back