I can't believe I work for this guy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
http://gothamist.com/2011/02/15/ice_in_beer_where_did_bloomberg_get.php

Ice in Beer? Who Taught Bloomberg How to Do That Stuff?

Since presidential elections are typically won by the candidate voters most want to get a beer with, it looks like Mayor Bloomberg may well have ruined his barely-concealed presidential ambitions with his confession that he takes his beer on the rocks. That kind of freaky, vaguely elitist predilection isn't going to cut it in Coors country. As we reported yesterday, after refusing to sample the new beer at the ribbon cutting for the Brooklyn Brewery's new expansion, the mayor explained that he typically "[has] to put ice in [his] beer." For insight into this sacrilege, we turned to two Brooklyn beer aficionados, Bill Mack of Luckydog and Dave Pollack at the Diamond. Mack tells us:

I had a laugh because, for someone like me, it's ridiculous. But I guess to each his own. I don't want anybody telling me what position I can have sex in. Not in Williamsburg! It's all personal taste. I wouldn't want to make fun of how he'd drink it. I don't like ice in beer for the same reason I don't use frozen mugs or ice chips. Sooner or later the beer is going to get watered down. I don't want water in my beer. It's not a kid's soft drink.

If you came into Luckydog and wanted a cask ale with ice in it... I don't know. If you order it, the bartender would do it. It's your beer and you can do what you want. I wouldn't throw them out. It's personal taste. And if this starts a new trend that's okay, because if you look at it from a bar owner's perspective, if people start ordering ice in beer, you're saving money. There's that old Irish bartender's adage: There's money in ice!

Mack says he's never seen anyone request ice in beer in his bar, and neither has Dave Pollack, who owns the excellent Diamond in Greenpoint. But like Mack, he stopped short of judging Bloomberg for his perverse beer consumption. "I just think it's kind of funny," says Pollack. "It probably would have been a good idea for him to just drink it. How horrible could it have been without ice? But I kind of like it. If that's what he wants to do and he's got the balls to say it, good for him. I just wonder where he got this."

Exactly, where the hell did the mayor get this? The mayor's press team has so far refused to comment on Beergate, but we'll update if we hear back on this vital issue. Until then we'll just assume it's a rich people thing that we're far too vulgar to understand.

What kind of a politician is he? Just have a sip, no one is expecting him to finish a pint and ask for seconds. It's a publicity event. Who is he afraid of angering, the Temperance League?

My opinion of Mayor Mike lowers pretty much every day I live in this city.

Ugh. He's prolly a picky eater too.

Can't. Stand. Picky. Eaters.

I knew someone who hated SAUCE. All sauce, nothing except ketchup... No sauce at all... Pizza sauce, pasta sauces, mayo, mustard, pesto, glazes...nothing except ketchup!!!

God, that pissed me off. I love cooking and it was like a slap in the face.

Anyway, that's pretty idiotic to admit you put ice in your beer and refuse to try a beer you're cutting a ribbon for when you're a politician. Just sip it, say "now that's a good beer" and move on with your day.

I knew someone who hated SAUCE. All sauce, nothing except ketchup... No sauce at all... Pizza sauce, pasta sauces, mayo, mustard, pesto, glazes...nothing except ketchup!!!

God, that pissed me off. I love cooking and it was like a slap in the face.

Anyway, that's pretty idiotic to admit you put ice in your beer and refuse to try a beer you're cutting a ribbon for when you're a politician. Just sip it, say "now that's a good beer" and move on with your day.

Well, I personally LOVE sauce. Sauce on everything I say! Sauce on ice, ice in beer...deeeelicious!!!

Unfortunately, I work for him too :( This little beer issue is not the only reason to be embarrassed about that either!

And on the sauce thing, that's actually fairly common. A lot of people won't use condiments at all. Michael Kay of Yankees fame is notable for that.

I have seen quite a few people put ice in their beer. "I can't let it get warm-eeewwww!!!!" was invariably their explanation. But, they were all women. Not that that matters.......

I had a hell of a time restraining myself the first time someone put ice in my beer without asking me. It's common as hell in Thailand.

Anyone remember the White House Beer summit? That was the definition of over blown politics.

I'm betting Bloomberg never actually drinks beer, he just said that as a cop out so he wouldn't have to drink it.

But your right, a good politician would take a sip, compliment the owner, and then hand the beer to an aide.

My mom puts ice in her beer, but she is almost eighty.

"Hey Bloomberg! You drink like an eighty year old lady!"

What kind of a politician is he? Just have a sip, no one is expecting him to finish a pint and ask for seconds. It's a publicity event. Who is he afraid of angering, the Temperance League?

My opinion of Mayor Mike lowers pretty much every day I live in this city.

But your right, a good politician would take a sip, compliment the owner, and then hand the beer to an aide.

I am not sure I agree with this. While I personally would not care if a politician drank from a Scotch glass during a speech a la Ron White, I think if he even as much a took a sip of beer even in that situation, it would come back to bite him in a future election, especially when the mudslinging and fact-twisting begins. It would be all over the place, especially in the Bible Belt.

Back