When to go to AG........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So when should I make the move to AG and what other equipment do I need for this?

Thanks.....

When is whenever you want to. Plenty of homebrewers stay extract forever, some start brewing with all grain. and everything in between.

if you feel like doing all grain, then you are ready.

As for equipment, that is outlined lots of places here on the forums and online.

I just switched to AG. Make the move when:
1. Watching a video on mashing no longer intimidates you.
2. You can afford the additional equipment: MLT and full-boil pot.

Okay so I haven't moved to all grain yet, but I have gathered a few things:
1. If you want to do full 5 gallon batches then you should have a pot of 8+ gallons.
2. You should also have a propane burner to boil this amount because stoves suck for 5+ gallons.
3. A wort chiller is handy, otherwise you'll be spending your whole day waiting for it to cool, instead of 10 minutes...

If you don't have this equipment then just make it easy on yourself and attempt a half batch (cut all ingredients in half.) Some may consider it a waste of time spending so much time for only 2.5 gallons... but you don't have to spend any money at all.

Make sure you read up on the process of mashing and stuff, and make sure you have equipment that will work. A cooler is a common vessel for mashing. Some do it right on the stove. You can start AG whenever you want... Just remember that it will require some bigger equipment and a lot more time. For some beers, its worth it. It's up to you to decide whether or not you want to increase the difficulty level!! I'm doing my first AG as a pure experiment. I expect to screw up, and I expect to learn from it. I'm not trying to make a world class beer my first time out :p

Do it whenever you want. Just do a little research and jump in. And you can do it pretty cheap if you want, or you can go nuts-deep and spend a ton. There are lots of possibilities. Have fun!

A 10 gallon mash tun and a 7.5 gallon pot with the capability to boil 5-7 gallons of wort.

I'd suggest going bigger on the brew kettle to a 15.5 gal converted keg or a 20 gallon kettle. That way you can do 10-11 gallon batches in the future when you decide you want more beer without having farted away money on a 10 gallon kettle. :D

:off:

is nutz-deep knee-deep^2?

:off: I suppose it depends on how well endowed you are:ban:

I'm doing my 1st AG batch this weekend, as long as we don't get another blizzard.

I picked up a 10gal rubbermaid from HD, and got my fittings on order from weldlessfittings.com. Dave was great to work with, and answered all my noob questions. I've only done two extract batches, but I've attended a local gathering of brewers from this site (MD Brewers) and watched a few guys do it.

If you have the opportunity, get together with someone who is set up for AG, and do a brew day with them. It raised my confidence level. That being said, I'm sure to screw up my first attempt, but that's what noobs do!

Jay

Do it when you can afford to have all the componants you need as well figure in if you have the time. It is easy to do an extract batch after work, doing an all grain makes life difficult. It takes me about 5 hours start to finish (with cleanup) for an AG batch.

when you feel it, kinda like love

but seriously, I used to be really intimidated by mashing, with the right information and calculators, such as http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml it really is a very straightforward process. Afterwards you will wonder why you didnt go AG earlier, especially when you see your bill at the LHBS :D

Do it whenever you want. Check out DeathBrewer's method. It's a sticky around here somewhere. You can use that as a starting point to get your feet wet. Personally, I'd start with partial mash. That way if you screw something up and get lousy efficiency, you have the extract to back you up.

I'd suggest going bigger on the brew kettle to a 15.5 gal converted keg or a 20 gallon kettle. That way you can do 10-11 gallon batches in the future when you decide you want more beer without having farted away money on a 10 gallon kettle. :D

Yeah, I'd be nice but I was just listing the minimum you'd need as to not spend a bunch of money

:off: I suppose it depends on how well endowed you are:ban:

I'm doing my 1st AG batch this weekend, as long as we don't get another blizzard.

I picked up a 10gal rubbermaid from HD, and got my fittings on order from weldlessfittings.com. Dave was great to work with, and answered all my noob questions. I've only done two extract batches, but I've attended a local gathering of brewers from this site (MD Brewers) and watched a few guys do it.

If you have the opportunity, get together with someone who is set up for AG, and do a brew day with them. It raised my confidence level. That being said, I'm sure to screw up my first attempt, but that's what noobs do!

Jay

This is what I think I'll do. I'd like to see someone do it while I drink beer and watch..........:rockin: then I think I can repeat the process.

read up and dive in man. if you're asking that question, its probably a sign that you're comfortable enough with your process to make the jump. poke around on the diy forum, lots of projects on the cheap there. if you don't do full boils yet, look at hardware stores for a turkey fryer kit, with the 7.5-8 gal pot in it. thats what i use. they're cheap and they work.

whoneedsabeer - is that you in your avatar? nice bird man, looks like a 2000?

Get or convert your equipment one piece at a time as you can afford it, upgrade when possible, deals come by. Would recommend Keggle conversion with 1/2" valve and BrewMometer (add more as you can or want). cooler conversion Mash Tun, Carboys. Every one's here to help with ideas.

Back