New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry! I looked through my emails to chad yesterday and couldn't find it so I must have relayed that to him on the phone. I still have the basket though so I'll get you some measurements and pics tonight.

That would help out a lot, thanks.

that would help out a lot, thanks.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404936657.517501.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404936666.135903.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404936686.248727.jpg

Basically 12" tall by 13.75" diameter

Thanks. This looks a lot more convenient than using a mesh bag. I'll go with 400 micron since 300 seems a little too fine for my recirculating ebiab system.

Just upgraded to a new BK and added a whirlpool kit from Bargain Fittings, also picked up a plate chiller from Duda diesel. I've never whirlpooled so am unsure about its effectiveness, but what about using one of these hop blockers and whirlpooling, overkill? Anyone else doing both to control trub into their plate chiller and fermenter?

Just upgraded to a new BK and added a whirlpool kit from Bargain Fittings, also picked up a plate chiller from Duda diesel. I've never whirlpooled so am unsure about its effectiveness, but what about using one of these hop blockers and whirlpooling, overkill? Anyone else doing both to control trub into their plate chiller and fermenter?

That is exactly what I do and makes these one of the best pieces of brewing kit I own. I use these throughout the brew process. First, I use it to fill the kettle with wort as it catches any grain that might make it past the false bottom. Next I use it for my hops, to keep them from making a mess of my kettle, lines, pumps, chiller, etc. Then I recirculate through them to catch hot break and the like. End up with much cleaner wort and better looking/tasting beer. Highly recommended!:mug:

What did that unit cost? Any issues with it floating up durning the boil?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What did that unit cost? Any issues with it floating up durning the boil?

I don't remember cost other than I thought it was reasonable. It does not float during the boil, however it does "trap" heat, so you need to be aware of that. Check out Chad's website for pricing...

I received my custom BIAB basket from Chad and I had a chance to brew with it last week. It worked great and I hit 76% mash efficiency which is what I was aiming for. I used it with the Brew Boss recirculating eBIAB system and the basket did a great job of filtering grain particle out of the wort.

Thanks to marcb for the pics and measurements from earlier.

Basket.jpg

Basket2.jpg

I couldn't fit an 8" so I ordered a standard 6x14 center hanging mount unit.

After only using mine a few times I am going to post it up for sale I think. I whirlpool and am more patient now letting it settle out before going into the fermenter. Plus I find it hard to clean well. If anyone is interested PM me, I will make a formal listing sometime this week

So here is a question and/or idea...

My BK is about 17.5 inches, thought I would have a basket with the 300 micron about 16 inches in diameter and about 1/2 as deep as the kettle, in my mind this allows maximum exposure to boiling wort and allows whirlpooling as well

Anyway just a few thoughts

T

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I only use a 6" but notice it subdues boiling activity within the screen. It also clogs with cold break if I pump through it while chilling or hot break is forming.

So here is a question and/or idea...

My BK is about 17.5 inches, thought I would have a basket with the 300 micron about 16 inches in diameter and about 1/2 as deep as the kettle, in my mind this allows maximum exposure to boiling wort and allows whirlpooling as well

Anyway just a few thoughts

I only use a 6" but notice it subdues boiling activity within the screen. It also clogs with cold break if I pump through it while chilling or hot break is forming.

^ This.
The boil will surge around the perimeter of the basket causing a lot of splashing. This was reported in the thread already. Boiling is mostly a convection process, and the screen breaks that action.

^ This.
The boil will surge around the perimeter of the basket causing a lot of splashing. This was reported in the thread already. Boiling is mostly a convection process, and the screen breaks that action.

This is why I post these things before I run off down the road with my 1/2 thought out ideas...lol:fro:

Alright, I looked through 69 pages on here so far and haven't really found my answer so I will just ask now. Has anyone used this on a keggle? Mine is about 16" to the dip tube from the opening of the keggle. Would I be able to lay a pipe through the handles and hang it form there or did he make a modified version to fit on the keggles? I saw on his site the one that hangs there but I don't care for that. I didn't mind the one that had the hook to it that I saw as a prototype. Anyone have one they use on their keggle system?

Why not just email em? I am pretty sure he would make just about anything.

I bought the hang from the side model for my keggle for 2 reasons:

1.) I am cheap, I bet the one with the bar that goes across costs at least $2-5 more

2.) I plan on using a real kettle one day.

I actually hang mine from a chain from the ceiling down into the keggle. When it's time to drain I suspend it up above the liquid level to drain out.

I've been eyeing one of these hop screens for a while. Has anyone compared the difference in hop flavor/aroma between the screen and a paint strainer bag?

The stainless one has more liquid passing through so it would have more. Unless the bag had more porosity. then it might be even. But if you got a strainer with microns equaling the bag then it would go to the stainless strainer.

Not a real challenge, only 3oz of hops. However, worked like a charm. 300 micron. Worked so much better than my hop spider I already threw that thing away.

The real test, Pliny clone, will come here in a couple weeks.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410611404.173123.jpg

Got mine yesterday and im brewing today with it. mine is a 300 micron 4" x 10". Only 2.5oz of hops today though. id like to do a IPA or IIPA with it and see how it handles the hops.

I love it. Works way better than a hop spider. I wasn't kidding when I said I already tossed the damn thing. Got the 300 micron and couldn't be happier. I thought about getting the 400 and I'm glad I didn't. The flow through this was more than adequate.

I had mine custom made to be wider. 8 inch diameter I believe. It sits about 1.5-2 inches off the bottom of my kettle.

Doing a Pliny clone here in a couple weeks. That will be the real test. I will
Update with pics.

Anyone tried using one of the screens as a filter when racking from the fermenter into a keg? Would the flow through a 300 micron screen be able to keep pace with an autosiphon (i.e. would the liquid level inside the screen drop faster than the liquid outside the screen)?

I'm sure the flow would be fine. I had 0 lag between pumping to my chiller and the screen draining out. Which was my biggest problem with the hop spider. That and the tiny opening to drop hops in.

Anyone tried using one of the screens as a filter when racking from the fermenter into a keg? Would the flow through a 300 micron screen be able to keep pace with an autosiphon (i.e. would the liquid level inside the screen drop faster than the liquid outside the screen)?

Why not just cold crash and start racking from the middle and dont get greedy when it gets down to the trub area. Also if you keg then you can pull the first pint out and dump it if anything did get in there. IMO if your gonna filter then filter the right way with a filter setup.

Tested it out today. It worked well, I think the 200 micron filter might be a little too fine as the other break material stuck to the outside. Hop utilization was excellent though. It was also not too bad to clean.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410975965.393270.jpg

Either the guy on eBay is using your picture or you are the guy selling them on eBay.

marcb can respond for himself, but as a longtime follower on this thread, I know he's purchased a TON of them from Chad, experimenting with various designs. Is it a problem if he wants to clean house and sell the ones he is no longer using?

Hezagenius, I don't think that's a good idea. Running the liquid through the tiny holes in the filter will aerate it, something you don't want post-fermentation.

Would it aerate if the liquid level on both the inside and outside of the screen were higher than the intake of the autosiphon? The area around the autosiphon intake wouldn't be exposed to air. Does the process of flowing through the filter aerate it even if it is submerged?

Ooh, I see what you're saying. You want to slowly submerge the filter in your fermenting vessel and siphon it out from the middle and into your keg. No, that should be fine. I was picturing a set up where you had the filter in the open air between your fermentor and keg with the liquid splashing all around.

well i just did a brew this morning with mine 4" x 10" and with 2.5oz of pellet hops, it filled up about 1/3 so im guessing i could do 7-7.5 oz max. prob will only go 80% of the max though. should have got a wider one. im guessing ill be fine for all types except IPAs and IIPAs.

well i just did a brew this morning with mine 4" x 10" and with 2.5oz of pellet hops, it filled up about 1/3 so im guessing i could do 7-7.5 oz max. prob will only go 80% of the max though. should have got a wider one. im guessing ill be fine for all types except IPAs and IIPAs.

How are you brewing during the week? Jealous!!

I bought the smaller diameter one and then bought the 6" one, as I was unable to do more than about 4-6 oz of hops without issues in the way my process works. Turned out good though as I find I use two of them all the time. When I fill the kettle from the MLT, I use it to filter out grain that gets under/through the false bottom. I recirculate when I am cooling through my plate chiller, so I use it to catch break material and to recirculate through the hops. Having a second one allows me to clean one while using the other, as well as doing PtE and other IIPA's with a pound or more of hops.

I had mine special made 8" diameter. Definitely glad I did. 3oz of hops didn't even make a noticeable dent in the capacity.

Back