Why are my new Ventmatic faucets CRAP????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, they're not very good at returning emails. They always answer my calls, and I've even dropped by in person a few times on road trips.

I called inquiring about a 10-way secondary. They said they could build one, no problem, send over my specs. I send em in, a week goes by, then I follow up, still nothing back from them. They never got back to me, so I took my business to AIH.

Jay answered every question I threw at him via email and is walking around with my five-large in his pocket. Plus another five-large from his BF sale.

Sorry to hear some people are having issues with their VentMatics. I bought two back in August to go with the three I'd purchased years ago. I lubed them up when I got them and I never had any issues with leaking from the bonnet. However, one of them did have a very slow leak from the front seal. I got it to stop dripping but requested the v1.1 seals anyway. Since installing them they've worked perfectly.

One thing I noticed was the linkage between the lever and the sealing piston is a little bit different compared to the old ones. The new design is a little trickier to seat. I've found that opening and closing the faucet while tightening the bonnet nut ensures everything is lined up correctly. Not sure if that's the source of the bonnet leaks or not.

I know the MFR could have a problem in a production run, or a product they use like O-rings. But a faucet simple part, maybe I'm just lucky. I have one 525 and a bunch of cheap ones. If they ever did have a problem, I'd throw them away and buy another. I looked at what most bars are using and it's the cheap ones. I'm not pooping on people who are having problems, just saying the cheap ones work too; it's one less thing to get upset about.

I'm slowly accumulating the necessaries for kegging and, after reading about the cheap faucets sticking, figured on Perlick faucets. Ventmatics became available again and, after reading rave reviews from years ago I was thinking of going with them. Seems to be trouble getting things back up to snuff with the new production run, though. Now I read posts about problems with Perlicks leaking. I'm wondering if this is an issue with stainless steel, maybe difficulty holding tolerances during machining, that might not be a problem on a brass faucet? Any significant reason to go with ss Perlicks over plated brass or are there problems with the brass Perlicks also?

I'm slowly accumulating the necessaries for kegging and, after reading about the cheap faucets sticking, figured on Perlick faucets. Ventmatics became available again and, after reading rave reviews from years ago I was thinking of going with them. Seems to be trouble getting things back up to snuff with the new production run, though. Now I read posts about problems with Perlicks leaking. I'm wondering if this is an issue with stainless steel, maybe difficulty holding tolerances during machining, that might not be a problem on a brass faucet? Any significant reason to go with ss Perlicks over plated brass or are there problems with the brass Perlicks also?

Pretty sure plated brass has the same problems. The Perlick problem seems to be somewhere in the design. However, my Perlicks have seen daily service for over a year and never leaked once.

If you're worried about leaky Perlicks, wait for Q1 2014. The 525SS is being redesigned as the 630SS to solve these issues. That said, I have 6 525SS faucets on order because I'm confident they won't be leaking.

By the way, if you live in the US (edit: this is a federal policy under the EPA), many brass items are about to get more expensive. I just bought my 10-way brass secondary before the below takes effect:

What?
In January 2011, the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act was signed into law, which will reduce the allowable lead content of wetted surfaces in drinking water pipes, pipe fittings, and plumbing fixtures.

*California & Vermont (Jan 1, 2010), Maryland (Jan 1, 2012), and Louisiana (Jan 1, 2013) have adopted lead in drinking water standards that will go into effect prior to January 4, 2014.

What does this mean for me?
Your current inventory of 85-5-5-5 leaded brass becomes obsolete on January 4, 2014. This means you will no longer be able to sell valves, fittings, or fixtures that contains lead which exceeds the 0.25% weighted average limit for wetted surfaces.

What are the products impacted?
The product affected by this legislation includes all valves, fittings, or fixtures that come into contact with potable water, except those excluded per Federal Public Law 111-380.

Does the chrome plating allow for the use of leaded brass? Dunno. Maybe? Not a lawyer.

I installed mine yesterday. The pour from these faucets is great. However, I am noticing some leakage from both of the installed faucets like others have reported. One faucet leaked from the spout, the other from the bonnet. I used the replacement o-rings for the forward seal, but still about an ounce of beer dripped over the course of 6 hours. Not much, but it should be 0. I emailed them this morning, hoping to receive a response back.

my new gaskets arrived, i have not had a chance to get them installed yet. Will report back, i am hoping it corrects the problem.

I got a return label from them and sent both of my faucets back this week. We'll see how well their return process works.

I have tried 3 of the 4 faucets I was sent. 2 work just fine, the thrid still leaks. I emailed Chicompany 4 days ago, no response. I sent a follow up today, I hope this can get resolved.

I found with the 525ss faucets that they didn't fit right when I used a chrome plated brass shank. So I purchased ss shanks and no leaking. Just wondering if the leaky people are using chrome shanks with the ss faucets?

I like my 525SS's. I do find that I get 3-4 drops after a pour and where I have put tall tap handles I tend to have worse leaks. If I use the 3 inch plastic tap handles I only get the 3-4 drips rather than the possibly more consistant leak. Regardless of how tight I screw down the crown. Just a thought, do those who are having forward sealing leaks use tall or heavy tap handles?

I like my 525SS's. I do find that I get 3-4 drops after a pour and where I have put tall tap handles I tend to have worse leaks. If I use the 3 inch plastic tap handles I only get the 3-4 drips rather than the possibly more consistant leak. Regardless of how tight I screw down the crown. Just a thought, do those who are having forward sealing leaks use tall or heavy tap handles?

Everybody gets the 3-4 drops after a pull on rear-sealing faucets. That's just the residual beer that was forward of the seal.

I found with the 525ss faucets that they didn't fit right when I used a chrome plated brass shank. So I purchased ss shanks and no leaking. Just wondering if the leaky people are using chrome shanks with the ss faucets?

These leaks are either at the bonnet or the spout, and have nothing to do with the shank...

Cheers!

I spoke to CHI today: They have shipped the entire inventory of Vent-Matics back to the mfg. for retrofitting for new-new seals and o-rings. Due to the leak issues, the mfg. will be replacing everything to make them 110%. They said look for the re-issue of "version 2" in January to February.

I'll have to re email them, I'm to the point now where I'm unhooking my connectors after every pour since the bonnets are leaking so much. I can't believe this wasn't addressed as an issue with the 1st revision.

Sent both of mine back 10 days ago. No response/refund yet. I'll wait another 10 days and then contact my credit card company.

Sent both of mine back 10 days ago. No response/refund yet. I'll wait another 10 days and then contact my credit card company.

I received my refund today, 12 days from the time I shipped them back and they paid for the shipping.
I cant say anything bad about their customer service, even when handling it via e-mail they took care of everything in a polite, professional and somewhat timely fashion (considering the time of year). :)

Turns out one of mine is now leaking through the bonnet. Their customer service has been prompt and responsive. They have offered to take mine back or I can wait Until they release the new seals.

Honestly I'm debating about getting two new perlicks

Turns out one of mine is now leaking through the bonnet. Their customer service has been prompt and responsive. They have offered to take mine back or I can wait Until they release the new seals.

Honestly I'm debating about getting two new perlicks

I had one SS Perlick 525 and bought another one. So far they've been flawless so I'll stick with them. Eventually they'll get the issues handled with the Ventmatics, but for now they just aren't quite right.

What a confusing mess! Sure wish I'd had the foresight to get additional Perlick 425s when I still could.

I figure my best option is to just get a couple spare picnic taps for now, and then wait and see how the 630SS and the redesigned VentMatic shake out.

I e-mailed CHI since I have three of the 1.1's that I haven't used yet. They said I could send them back if I'd like to, or I can wait and when the new 2.0 seal design is available they'll be sending them out to everyone that bought a faucet.

Apparently it is only a seal design change and nothing to do with the casting. I'm going to wait on the new 2.0 seals.

Just read this on their website.

VENT-MATIC BEER & WINE FAUCET
Due to manufacturing issues (a leaky bonnet seal) we have suspended the sale of these faucets. (12/15/2013)
The cause of the bonnet leak as been determined to be an incorrect production clearance of the top Teflon washer. New washers are in the process of being made.
Furthermore, a change to the front seal is being made.
Combined, these two changes (2013 Vent-Matic v.2) will insure that the Vent-Matic is the best available faucet from any manufacturer at all pouring pressures; even as low as 5 psi.
We expect to have the 2014 Vent-Matic available by (the latest) February, 2014.
Should you wish to be notified when the 2014 Vent-Matic Faucet is available, please enter your name and email address in the Back in Stock Notification Box, shown below.
Should you have a 2013 Vent-Matic faucet, whether there are any problems or not, you will automatically receive the update seal kits, when issued by the mfg. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Spoke with CHI Company on 1-13. They say the mfg. informed them that the new teflon seals and rubber gaskets are approx. 3 weeks out / Early February.

Good news! I can wait 3 more weeks. I hope the new seals work. The keezer is finished, but I don't feel comfortable leaving the taps hooked up. However, using the cobras just makes it feel like the project isn't complete! I still have to figure out the drip tray though, so I guess I can live with it.

Spoke with CHI Company on 1-13. They say the mfg. informed them that the new teflon seals and rubber gaskets are approx. 3 weeks out / Early February.

CB77R is ChiCompany and is pretending to be a ChiCompany customer. ChiCompany was previously banned and now so is CB77R.

So it looks like it will be even longer of a wait until we see a resolution to this mess, below is an email I received from the CHI Company regarding a need for test subjects. I feel like I've already been a test subject as they obviously have been relying on the consumer to test products which should have been tested before hitting the market. Not to mention setting up accounts on HBT to try and infiltrate conversations regarding these issues.

Begin received email:

The CHI Company 6070 Enterprise Dr. STE K Diamond Springs, CA. 95619-9442 [email protected] www.chicompany.net 530-622-8265

PRESS REPLY - NOT NEW: This will allow us to read the complete conversation in one email.

Hello Vent-Matic purchaser

As you know there were leaking issues with the 2013 Vent-Matic v.1 & 2; first with the front seal and then a mis-sized top teflon gasket. Once again, we apologize for the errors.

On February 14 th the manufacturer informed us that they have recieved the new gaskets & seals. They will now take 24 faucets and perform a 48 our leak test, each faucet at a different psi from 5psi to 20psi. The manufacturer will also perform an automatic lever activation test (via machine) to leak test during the operation of the faucet lever. We should receive the first batch around the end of February.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN: The CHI Company is looking for 12 of you to “field test” the 2013 Vent-Matic v.3 Faucet. THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE ALL FUN & GAMES. Should you accept, you will have to do some work. We are looking for people that will:

1. Sign a non-disclosure agreement. We can not afford to have reviews publically posted before any issues are remidied. 2. Have past experience with both “standard” and Perlick forward seal type faucets, 3. Have the ability and discipline to evaluate a situation and accurately write about it.

Be a member of a State or AHA registered homebrew club,

5. Be a member of Homebrewtalk.com - and other forums where you would then post on the behalf of The CHI Company the collective reviews. 6. Answer a survey based upon your experience.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED please copy, paste, answer and email us the following to: [email protected] Type this as the email subject line:

Full name or past order number: Are you willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement? How many Vent-Matic faucets did you originally purchase?

Number of years of pouring beer at home? How many Faucets / beer lines are in active use at home RIGHT NOW? How many times per week do you pour a beverage with a Beer Faucet at home?

Are you a member of a State or AHA registered HBClub?

Are you a member of HBTalk.com? Have you previously posted about your Vent-Matic experience on HBTalk.com? If so, what is your screen name? Are you willing to post on HBTalk.com and other forums on behalf of The CHI Company?

Should you be choosen for this product evaluation you will receive an email notification of such. You will receive the non-disclosure form to sign and email back to us. You will then receive the evaluation instructions via email and then be sent a Vent-Matic v.3 Faucet for review. At the end of the evaluation period you will be able to keep the Vent-matic v.3 Faucet as our gift to you.

Thank you for your help. Matthew Chitiea The CHI Company, LLC

So it looks like it will be even longer of a wait until we see a resolution to this mess, below is an email I received from the CHI Company regarding a need for test subjects. [...]

Wow, that's bold! And for all that hassle, work, and violating the HBT regulations you get to keep the faucet, huh? Something's leaky.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm making a mental note to avoid CHI Company. Besides the new Perlick 630s are out...

:eek:

Yeesh. How have I been lucky enough to have 4 orders go thru with zero issue, yet everybody else seems to have problems?

That message is unsettling. Can anybody say [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPOGxUtZvk]Amy's Baking Company[/ame]?

So they want the "testers" to diagnose the issue and sing their praises on hbt?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I think what they're trying to do is ensure the testers are qualified. I work in software development and we have early adopter agreements with some clients in order to get feedback based on their real-life use cases. We only offer those agreements to clients that we know we'll get valuable feedback from. Lots of manufacturing companies do the same things with their products. So I can't fault them too much for wanting to get qualified testers.

That said, I think they definitely shouldn't be trying to get customers to post on their behalf in online forums. For me, one of the primary purposes for going to an online forum, especially when it comes to products, is to try to get objective opinions and feedback. At the very least this seems to imply a lack of objectivity. The manufacturer has got to be frustrated with the issues they've had with the re-launch of these faucets...this email kind of screams panic mode to me. It may simply be a case of them not thinking things through very well. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that. They really need to work on their approach to damage control. Seems like CHI is kind of a small company but I think they'd benefit from a good PR rep...and get a vendor account so you can respond to people's inquiries without posing as a regular forum member.

I still don't know how the leaky forward seal and the bonnet leak were even overlooked in the design and testing on their end. It's almost as if they never even did any tests.
I find it hard to believe that any home brewer would sign up for this lab rat experiment. If there are still faulty components and I lose a batch of beer and a tank of C02 and have a massive mess to clean up I don't think a free piece of junk stainless steel would offset my cost and frustration.
I don't know what's so hard about doing a lot of various testing in house, heck even just using carbed water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is nothing more than a marketing stunt, and anyone signing up becomes one of the actors.

Meanwhile, the new Perls are supposedly shipping now...

Cheers!

I still don't know how the leaky forward seal and the bonnet leak were even overlooked in the design and testing on their end. It's almost as if they never even did any tests.

I suspect they tested early but didn't do much/any testing once production ramped up. So bad QC. I ordered two back in August to go with the three I already had (original Ventmatics from years ago).

Of the two, neither had bonnet leaks. One had a temperamental forward seal but I got it to work after taking it apart and lubing the seals. CHI sent me new forward seals and now they both work flawlessly.

Based on the reported issues and the fact that they've worked well, I'm guessing the ones I got must have come from an early production run.

http://microbusbrewery.org

I have to say my experience with my one order with CHI has been very good. I bought three Ventmatics several months ago, and they all had sticking problems. They told me to ship them back (at their cost) for a full refund which I did and they obliged. As it turns out, the shipping envelope broke and they actually received no faucets, just the torn envelope. They promptly refunded me just the same and were prompt and courteous in their email correspondence.

I'm going to place another order for some Perlick faucets, another shank and a 3g Corny keg and see if they still go goof by me. YMMV

MikeB

Back