OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
Stupid question and sorry for bothering everyone. I used 4 gallons instead of the recommended 2.5 gallons per my extract kit instructions. So the question is would this cause my OG to be higher than if I did the 2.5 gallons? Kit says it should be 1.052 and I am getting 1.060. I already have more than 5 gallons in the fermenter. Should I add more water.

1.060 isn't such a high gravity that yeastiebeasties wouldn't be able to handle it. You can always water your beer down, but your only shot to concentrate it is during the boil.

I would have expected the OG to be lower. Same amount of fermentables in a greater volume of water.

Northern Brew La Petite Orange. Should I just leave the OG at 1.060 and pitch the yeast?

Yes mixed it really good. Put it in the fermenting bucket closed lid and swirled for about 3 min. Has a lot of froth on top now. Have not added yeast yet.

Your fine just pitch your yeast! The worst that can happen is its under pitch but it think you'll be just fine. What kind of yeast do you have.

Wyeast 1214. Smack pack that finally stated to swell after about 9 hours. Also have a white labs Wlp530 as a back up. Should I maybe put both yeast packs in.

Back