7 th batch and still confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
We are currently brewing out 7th extract kit from Midwest supplies ( killians mock) as reading the instructions we noticed these particular instructions say when finished steeping the grains at 155 to immediately add the lme, on all previous brew days we have brought the wort to a boil after steeping grains before adding the lme, is this a issue that we brought the wort to a boil before adding lme? And if so why. Thanks!

I dont think it will make a huge difference...if i had to guess they tell you to do this to prevent huge boil overs. You will still see them with it starts boiling, but i do know from experience trying to pour in DME/LME and keep it from boiling over at the same time can be a pain..so most get it boiling and take it off and mix the DME in...esentially the same thing you'd be doing.

I'm unfamiliar with the kit but it sounds like they're just eliminating the 'heat to boil, kill heat, add extract, bring to boil' step and going straight to 'add extract and bring to boil'. It's been awhile since I've made an extract batch though and could be mistaken. Either way I can't imagine you did any harm to the wort, it's just dissolving sugar, right? Kyle

It doesn't matter in the slightest. Like Mr. Wuzze says, the only real difference is that adding at peak boil runs the risk of a sudden boilover. I'd never thought to add soon as the steeping was done, but it's a smart way to write the instructions.

Alright ya we thought we were fine just curious in why some of Midwest instructions were different then others, I always just figured they used same instructions and just changed names of ingredients

Back