Carbonation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchayer

Reaction score
I bottled a DIPA batch 10 days ago. There is no carbonation at all in the bottle.

I know I didn't forgot to add my priming solution to the bottling bucket so I think I may have made 1 of 3 mistakes:

1. I didn't get a proper seal on the bottle. I don't believe this is the case but don't want to rule it out.
2. I screwed up my priming measurement
3. I know I forgot to stir the priming solution in the bottling bucket

I have 2 options I can open each bottle and add a priming drop or I can dump it all into a keg and force carb.

Looking for opinions.

Thanks!

I'm not a hundred percent sure but if you keg it you are guaranteed carbonation.

High gravity beers can take quite a while to carbonate. I had an 8% black ipa that took over two months to carb up. Give it a few more weeks at 70 degrees and try it again.

Don't go opening all of your bottles just yet. WHat temp have your bottles been sitting at for 10 days?

Yep, I have the same question, are the bottles sitting at the same temperature that you fermented at? Also, you could open 1 bottle every week and try it :D

I know I didn't forgot to add my priming solution to the bottling bucket so I think I may have made 1 of 3 mistakes....

The only mistake you made was not waiting long enough. It takes a minimum of 3 weeks at 70° to reach full carbonation, and higher gravity beers like your IIPA will take longer. If they're being conditioned below 70° it will also take longer.

Don't go opening all of your bottles just yet. WHat temp have your bottles been sitting at for 10 days?

62 degrees. I can move them to a warmer room and give them some more time.

My first batch in the bottle was a porter and that was nicely carbed after a week at 62.

Thanks

I bottled a DIPA batch 10 days ago. There is no carbonation at all in the bottle.

I know I didn't forgot to add my priming solution to the bottling bucket so I think I may have made 1 of 3 mistakes:

1. I didn't get a proper seal on the bottle. I don't believe this is the case but don't want to rule it out.
2. I screwed up my priming measurement
3. I know I forgot to stir the priming solution in the bottling bucket

I have 2 options I can open each bottle and add a priming drop or I can dump it all into a keg and force carb.

Looking for opinions.

Thanks!

3rd option= wait another 10-14 days.
I have seen posted a technique where you simply turn the bottles over and leave them that way for 3 days before turning right side up. The poster(s) swear by it. I suppose it is the same as giving the botlles a good shake.

I'm not a hundred percent sure but if you keg it you are guaranteed carbonation.

What the **** does this have to do WITH THE SPECIFIC QUESTION?

It's not helpful one bit. I keg and bottle and I think it's just plain rude to tell some one "Nyah Nyah, if you keg, blah blah blah." He didn't ask about a kegging issue did he? And what's he supposed to do in your world, dump all the beer in a keg now and oxydize them?

And guess what....People who do what the op did, and try their beer too soon, REGARDLESS of whether it's a keg or bottle, have undercarbed beer. It doesn't matter if it's a keg or a bottle.

:mad:

Dchayer, the reason your beer isn't carbed yet, is simple...You're opening them after only 10 days!!!!

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

A DIPA, is a BIG BEER, it's going to take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

You don't need to do anything, in fact if you add more sugar, you will cause more problems, like create bottle bombs when the yeast gets around to eating all the sugar.

Walk away and come back in another 3 weeks, or more.

I think 10 days at 62F is quick to worry about it. Give it a few more weeks at least before you panic.

I keep my house colder to save on natural gas, I keep my bottles in my master bedroom closet and they take at least 3 weeks to have anything going on. After 4 or 5 weeks, they are fine.

Edit to add: Mine are around 65F

What the **** does this have to do WITH THE SPECIFIC QUESTION?

Sorry revvy I didnt mean to get you mad. Your 100 percent right about oxidation and pouring the beer into the keg will oxidize the brew. :smack:

Patience is a virtue good luck with the brew! :mug:

Back