Convert All-grain recipe to extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking at this recipe I saw online that looks fun to try. Is there any way to convert this to extract? The recipe is near the bottom.

A nice, big, over the top Robust Porter is created as the base for all of this goodness. Note that our gravity is pretty high, so make sure to use a big, healthy pitch of yeast in order to have a healthy, and complete fermentation.

Once fermentation has slowed down, it's time to add your extras (Bourbon, Vanilla, and Oak (if you want)). Denny's original recipe calls for you to split 2 fresh vanilla beans, scrape the insides, chop the pods into quarters, and add all this to the secondary fermenter (or just throw it in the primary if you do not use a secondary.) Then taste this periodically for between 7 and 14 days to get the right level of vanilla flavor you are looking for.

When the vanilla is right and it's bottling/kegging time, it's time to add the Bourbon. Denny's original recipe calls for 10ml. of Bourbon per pint of finished beer. He arrived at this by adding ml. samples to 4 oz. of beer and then scaled up. To some, this may be a bit too much bourbon, so I suggest you do the same calculations and figure out what suits your taste best. You can get more bourbon in, but you can never take it back out

For the sake of math, however, 10 ml. Bourbon/Pint of Beer = 400 ml. Bourbon/5 Gal. of Beer = 1.69 Cups Bourbon/5 Gal. Beer

Although the original recipe does not call for oak, I like it. Restraint, however, needs to be practiced here. Jamil Zainasheff on The Brewing Network recently recommended 1 - 2 oz. of Medium Toast Oak Cubes per 5 gallons of beer. If you are using oak chips, they have more surface area and will require less to get the same effect. Jamil also recommended boiling the chips or cubes in a bit of water for about 10 minutes to sanitize them. Alternately, you could also soak the chips in the bourbon for a bit then pour the whole thing into your secondary fermenter.

Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter ::: 1.079/1.017 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

13 lb.- 2-Row Pale Malt
2.5 lb. - Munich Malt (15 L)
1.5 lb. - Brown Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (120L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)
1.25 lb. - Chocolate Malt (edited - Thanks Denny)
Extras :
Kentucky Bourbon (Jim Beam, Knob Creek, etc.)
Real, Whole Vanilla Beans (Extract just won't do)
Oak Chips or Cubes
Hop Schedule (37 IBU)

1 oz - Magnum Hops (60 min)
1/2 oz - E.K. Goldings (10 min)
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at about 68° Add Vanilla Beans after primary - rack 7 to 14 days
Add Bourbon at bottling (1 to 1.75 cups - don't overdo this!)
Infuse Bourbon beforehand with Oak Chips/Cubes if you want.

A quick and dirty conversion yields the following grainbill:
12lbs light LME
1.5lbs chocolate
1lbs crystal 60l
1lbs crystal 120l
.5lbs crystal 40l

Steep the specialty grains as normal, keep the hop bill the same. This recipe should get you a 6 gallon batch at 1.075 OG with ~36IBUs.

12lbs light LME
1.5lbs chocolate
1lbs crystal 60l
1lbs crystal 120l
.5lbs crystal 40l

Steep the specialty grains as normal, keep the hop bill the same. This recipe should get you a 6 gallon batch at 1.075 OG with ~36IBUs.

Is there a quick formula to convert it to a 5gal batch? or a calculator online? I suppose I could use that "brain" thing. But thats no fun :)

12lbs light LME
1.5lbs chocolate
1lbs crystal 60l
1lbs crystal 120l
.5lbs crystal 40l

I haven't tried to create a conversion for the OP, but this looks like way too much specialty grain at 4 lbs for 6 gallons. If he makes that, he's going to be coming back later asking why his FG is so high.

You know, that's exactly what I thought too. I just ran it through Beersmith and those were the numbers it spit out.

To the OP: for a 5 gallon batch, I'd go with the following:
9lb amber LME
1lb chocolate malt
.5lb crystal 60l
.5lb crystal 120l

As a complete newbie, explain to me how to convert all grain recipes to extract. Please?

There is a ton of valuable information on this site including recipes, but unfortunately, a lot or most are all grain.

As a complete newbie, explain to me how to convert all grain recipes to extract. Please?

There is a ton of valuable information on this site including recipes, but unfortunately, a lot or most are all grain.

In general:

1lb 2-row = 0.75lb light LME = .6 lb light DME

So if an AG recipe has 10lbs 2-row, you could use 7.5lbs LME or 6 lbs DME...

In general you can steep your crystal grains and other specialty grains as usual.

Latest posts

Back