Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
Let me begin by stating that I will be purchasing a hydrometer with my next visit to the brew store. I thought I wouldn't need one to get started. "Our ancestors made great beer without any fancy-shmancy contraptions!" Now I see the err of my ways.

Two weeks ago Saturday AM, I brewed a batch of LME pale. On Sunday evening I left on a trip. At this time there was not yet any activity in the airlock. Upon return (1 week +) there was no activity, not that there would be. Obviously, without the right equipment I have no way of knowing what, if anything, happened in the interim.

My plan is to RDWHAHB, but here is my question: What will be the result if there was little or no fermentation going on while I was away? Bad taste? Low alcohol? Toxic sludge?

Thanks

Well, if no fermentation occurred- anything could have happened. It could be fine, it could be infected.

Take a peak inside- is there a "ring of crud" around the top of the fermenter? If there is, it means fermentation occurred. Take a taste- if it tastes sweet, it didn't ferment. If it tastes like beer- it's beer!

if you didn't have any activity at all after an entire week...then the yeast didn't take. you did pitch yeast, didn't you? ;) a week is really too long to let it sit without fermentation.

BUT i'm sure you just missed the fermentation while you were gone :) take a reading, taste it, and let us know how it goes.

Yooper Chick said:
Take a peak inside- is there a "ring of crud" around the top of the fermenter? If there is, it means fermentation occurred. QUOTE]

Good call Yoops! (I hope you don't mind the endearment "Yoops")

There was a beautiful ring of crud in the top of the bucket. Looks like I'm good to go!

Muchas gracias

Back