Need advice with secondary vs non secondary experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkal1964

Reaction score
Brewed 10 gals of Belgian Wit. I decided to do an experiment and rack 5 gals into secondary and leave 5 gals in primary too see if there are any differences. After 2 weeks I racked 5 gals into carboy and left 5 gals alone. 2 weeks later the beer that was not racked still has a large krausen on top and is considerably more cloudy. Both beers attenuated well and taste good. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. Should I just RDWHAHB ,rack the other beer, or Bottle next week?

carboys.jpg

Just an observation, how did you get 5 gallons of beer out of the 2 inchs of space left at the top of that carboy?

It's a Wit. Why are you even thinking about a secondary?

Not the right style for this type of experiment.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a half empty carboy there.

oh good, its not just me.

But if he has a trick to turn 2 inches of beer in primary into 5 gallons in a secondary, I really want to know it, or his next trick is to produce several baskets of left over bread and fish...

Wit yeast is funny...the krausen lasts forever if you don't disturb it.

Wits should be cloudy like the unracked carboy. The racked carboy is 'too clear' now for the style.

Brewed 10 gals of Belgian Wit. I decided to do an experiment and rack 5 gals into secondary and leave 5 gals in primary too see if there are any differences.

He brewed 10 and split it into two 5's, it's right there...

You split one of those? Ok David Copperfield what's going on here?

Maybe I wasn't clear, I Had two separate fermenters. One carboy and one bucket. I racked 5 gals into another carboy from the bucket fermenter, and left the one already in a carboy alone. Also you guys are right wit beer probably wasn't the best choice for this experiment, but I don't believe the beer will be out of style by racking it into a secondary if it is who cares this is just home brew, exactly adhering to a style is not that important to me . Maybe I will bottle next week as is. thanks for the responses.

Broncobum said:
I would like to know if the krausen was the same in both primaries when you racked.

It was starting to diminish in the bucket when I racked. However the krauzen lasted longer than normal and some was still present when I racked.

Haze in witbiers and weiss are caused by the high protein content of wheat. Normally, those proteins "stick" up to yeast cells. By racking up, you've dramatically lowered the quantity of yeast, thus lowering the haze.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. After all, krystalweiss beers are sometimes racked before being filtered.

I'd say bottle the two babies and see what you prefer. :) Also, yeah, have a homebrew and relax.

Back