Here is my inventory. I need a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redalert

Reaction score
beersmithinventory.JPG

This is not tried and true, but just looking at your inventory, I would do a Kolsch.

You could probably mix the rest of your pilsner with 2row at about 85%, then 10% wheat, 5% Munich. OG: 1.048, FG: 1.008.

Hops I would bitter with Strisselspalt and finish with saphir. From my understanding they are both substitutes of Noble hop varieties of Hallertau.... 1.5oz strisselspalt at 60min then 1-2 oz saphir at 20. Shooting for IBU of about 25.

Hell, I may have found my next brew!!! Good Luck

Another nice suggestion. The only problem is I just brewed 2 Kolsch style brews the last 2 weekends. One was a SMaSH with just Marris Otter and saphir, the other was with some wheat, Canada 2-row, also with the saphir. One is cold crashing as I write this, the other is winding down from fermantation.

How did the Saphir taste along the way? I've never used it before, what kind of characteristics do you get from it?

If you are looking for something off the beaten path, I'm seeing something that could shape up nicely.

If I can offer up maybe 1 more suggestion to keep this thread rolling...

Go for a healthy dose of MO for base with a touch of munich (1-1.5#), .5# aromatic, and chocolate malt(to get color no > 2oz) to get OG around 1.065-070. Hop bill, stick to your chinook and centennial to be up in the mid 60's IBU, but I'd say you could go as high as 80 and you got yourself a nice India Brown Ale with your NW ale yeast.

How did the Saphir taste along the way?

Go for a healthy dose of MO for base with a touch of munich (1-1.5#), .5# aromatic, and chocolate malt(to get color no > 2oz) to get OG around 1.065-070. Hop bill, stick to your chinook and centennial to be up in the mid 60's IBU, but I'd say you could go as high as 80 and you got yourself a nice India Brown Ale with your NW ale yeast.

Well to answer your question the Kolsch with the Saphir is cold crashing right now. I sampled a bit when taking my FG reading and it tasted mellow, like you would expect from a German hop hybrid. Another interesting idea. I've only done maybe 10 batches in my entire brewing career so far and haven't brewed a hoppy beer before.

Obviously with some subbing, I'd do a Two Hearted Ale clone. Pale, Vienna (sub less Munich?), Crystal, Centennial.

You could use both Pilsners, both wheats, a little bit of 2-row, Chinook for bittering, a little Strisselspalt for aroma, and Saison I for an experimental saison.

Personally, I'd make a Belgian Strong, Golden or Dark.

Golden:

5lbs Pilsner
7lbs Pale
1lb Belgian Wheat
4oz Aromatic
Norther Brewer @ 60 min to 25 IBU
C hop @ 10 min to 10 IBU
Strisslesplat @ 5 min

Add 1.5 lb of Sugar either at the end of the boil or whenever you'd like to get the SG up to about 1.080 or so and help dry it out. And mash it about 145 to 147 for up to 2 hours depending on conversion.

Dark

8lb Pale
6lb Munich
8oz Crystal 45L
4oz Aromatic
2oz Chocolate
Northern Brewer @ 60 to about 25 IBU
Fuggles @ 20 to about 10 IBU

Add about 1 lb of Sugar at the start of the boil to help caramelize a little bit of it and make the wort a little darker (this will come out on the light side, anyway). If you add any spices, do it later in the boil... Gravity should be around 1.080. Mash this one around 153 to 154.

Ferment either with your Belgian Strong yeast.

Ferment the Golden in the upper 60s to low 70s for a few weeks, then cool it off to about 60 for a week or so and then lager it for about 3 weeks, then cold crash it and bottle.

Ferment the Dark starting in the upper 60s and ramp it up to the high 70s by day 3. It should be pretty much done by day 8. Allow it to sit for another few weeks and bottle. Or lager it for a few weeks then bottle.

The beauty of a Belgian Strong is that you can always add more malt! :)

Good luck!

Back