Mash Paddle...Wood DIY or SS????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I have access to a full woodshop and would like to fabricate a mash paddle out of wood similiar to the design found on morebeer.com website.

I was considering a SS version they also sell, but the holes are just not big enough to really break up any dough balls...the solid version is probably the most worthless unless I plan on going back to extract brewing (NEVER).

Has anyone ever thought of taking a solid SS paddle as I described and plasma cut oval slots as found on the wooden mash paddle?

Do you prefer a hardwood paddle over SS?

Any info would be great...Thanks for the time

Joe

Do holes (voids of space) break up anything? I thought it was the solid part of the paddle that broke up other solid masses. I use large plastic spoons and have never had issues with dry spots/balls.

I understand that holes will prevent flow around the paddle that will carry lumps around. Mash thick and you can avoid the problem. That being said, I mash at 1.5 qt/lb. and don't have issues.

Mash_Paddle.JPG

I made mine from maple and I really like it. The holes in it seem to help agitate the mash and break up dough balls. I love woodworking so it was an easy choice for me.

Hi guys....thanks for the responses.

Rich,

Did you have to seal it or is it even worth it assuming you don't leave it in the boil for prolonged periods or allow it to soak in water for too long. My brewing process involves having a 5 gallon bucket of water with sanitizer just sitting there to soak all sueable hoses, fittings and brushes that might be used in the process and occasionally dip the mash paddle before it goes back into the mash.

Rich,

Did you have to seal it or is it even worth it assuming you don't leave it in the boil for prolonged periods or allow it to soak in water for too long. My brewing process involves having a 5 gallon bucket of water with sanitizer just sitting there to soak all sueable hoses, fittings and brushes that might be used in the process and occasionally dip the mash paddle before it goes back into the mash.

It's best to leave a mash paddle unfinished. Any finish would likely not remain intact for long anyway. There may be some kind of finish that would survive repeated immersion in hot liquids, but it would probably not be worth the trouble or expense to use it. This is not a problem as it will be used pre-boil where there is little to no risk of contamination. Post boil is a whole different thing where you do want to be extra careful about sanitation. This is not to say don't keep the paddle clean, but it's not necessary to sanitize it as you would fermenters, spoons and such that may come into contact with the wort post boil. Wood is porous and nearly impossible to sanitize thoroughly anyway.

If you feel you need to put something on your paddle, I would coat it with cutting board conditioner. It is food grade and does help my maple cutting board for sure. It does take a few coats though.

If you feel you need to put something on your paddle, I would coat it with cutting board conditioner. It is food grade and does help my maple cutting board for sure. It does take a few coats though.

I wouldn't use it on the paddle for beer its an oil . Potential head killer. Just leave it naked its better that way ... At least I keep telling that to SWMBO.

Rich,

I didn't seal my paddle. It is made from hard maple and I didn't feel like it would be necessary. The paddle is used in the mash only and I rinse my right away after use. It hasn't stained, warped, or cracked so far. There isn't any need to sanitize your mash paddle. Remember, the only items you need to sanitize are the things that will contact your cooled wort and beer.

Mash_Paddle.JPG

I made mine from maple and I really like it. The holes in it seem to help agitate the mash and break up dough balls. I love woodworking so it was an easy choice for me.

That looks great! Well done. I might have to give that a try now...

I use the plastic mash paddle I got from Midwest. I haven't had much of an issue with doughballs, possibly because I elect to mash somewhat thinner- 1.5 qt of water per pound of grist. That paddle in the pic sure looks cool, though......wish I had some woodworking skills beyond taking a perfectly good piece of lumber and making toothpicks out of it.....

:mug:i use to use wood until i had one break on me. I got about 25 batches out of it before it broke(more of a crack). I fab a stainless like the standard 28 inch plastic. i used 304 for the handle and 316 grade stainless for the paddle. I have a current count of 57 batches and no issuse. Stainless will last a life time.

:mug:i use to use wood until i had one break on me. I got about 25 batches out of it before it broke(more of a crack). I fab a stainless like the standard 28 inch plastic. i used 304 for the handle and 316 grade stainless for the paddle. I have a current count of 57 batches and no issuse. Stainless will last a life time.

What kind of wood was your paddle made of? I can't imagine a good quality wooden mash paddle ever breaking.

I use a stainless paddle as it was free from a canning company job site.
Feels cold and industrial vs wood but no labor or time to build one.
Fiberglass coated wood kayak paddle count?

Latest posts

Back