Flag Porter - yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl spakler

Reaction score
If anyone hasn't seen the story here it is, Legends, Ltd. - Flag Porter.

That said, can anyone confirm the yeast in the bottles is the one they speak of in the "legend" of the beer? And if so, is there anything special about it that would make it worth culturing for a batch of porter? The next batch I have in the pipeline is a porter, I have a recipe for the Flag Porter. The question is the yeast.

TIA!

The story seems plausible, whether they still use that strain through to bottling and it makes the beer unique is what I am hoping to find someone to help me learn.

I have a weird story about this beer. I live in Wilmington NC and we have a haunted pub crawl that goes around to a few of the local "haunts" and tells ghost stories about each place. One of the stops is Cape Fear Wine and Beer which sits right on the Cape Fear River. The land that it sits on is where British soldiers would congregate to recieve their daily rations. I'm not sure of the year off the top of my head but back in the 1700's there was a local revolutionary who would snipe British soldiers from across the river while they were collecting their rations. Anyway, the owner of the bar says that he has experienced some unexplainable happenings there including the opening and closing of the coolers the keep the beer in while the doors were locked. And he also claims that upon coming to work on many occasions he has found bottles of flag porter in the back of the cooler with the neck snapped off and the contents drained. He said he has only experienced this with this particular beer which would in theory be what the soldier would have enjoyed in his homeland. Just thought you guys would think this was an interesting story. If you ever get to Wilmington you need to check out Cape Fear Wine and Beer, they usually have between 200 and 300 different beers available.

Back