Calling All Mechanics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
All of you mechanics and gear heads, where can I find good info on step by step info for auto repair. I have an 04 Ford F-150 that I'm tearing apart the door to replace the power mirror on the driver's side. Is there anything available online similar to the Haynes manuals. If I had one for my vehicle, I'd be using it right now...

I own Hayns or chiltons manuals for all my vehicle's, but when Im workin on friends I can usually find one at the library. Ive never had much luck finding that kind of info online.

I don't have any links or manuals to share, but I do have some advice. When doing work that requires the removal of interior panels, DO NOT force anything. If you're prying hard, you're wrong. Something will break, you'll curse yourself for having done that, and you'll pay through the nose to have it fixed. Have patience, be thorough, and walk away at the slightest inkling of frustration. Come back later with a fresh attitude and outlook on the problem at hand. In the end, you'll thank me.

Well, I was able to get everything apart and put back together. After removing the couple visible screws, the button pannel on the arm rest and the speaker in the door, the panel slid up and came off.

The mirror itself was easy to replace. And it was much faster to put back together. Thanks guys for the help. I didn't endup finding anything really useful for my little repair, but at least I know where to find some if I had a bigger project. That and I know next time that if I have anything bigger to tear apart, I'm getting one of those Haynes or Chilton's manuals.

Too bad you're not closer... I have a HUGE network of 'car guys' that I lean on when there is something needed to be done... one of them is my dad... he's got a lift! I did the brakes on my Ram last weekend and have to do the brakes on my husbands van tomorrow up at his place.

I managed to get the 1999 Ford Shop manual CD download a couple of years ago, but that site seems to be gone now... Glad you got it figured out.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Just start unbolting ****. If you have bolts left over when your done- dont worry
I did have one nut left over...:)

Te old mirror was bolted on with four bolts, three in a triangualr pattern and one in the center. The new mirror just had the three without he one in the middle.

I would think it's good to have extra nuts.......

newPic_7192_jpg_1178579m.jpg

Haynes manuals suck and Chilton manuals are totally worthless. I do all my own work on the cars/trucks I have and Haynes manuals are little better than flying blind. I have a Chilton manual for a Toyota truck of mine that actually has false information! Half of the repairs I do can be done without a manual, bit it's nice to have torque specs on hand.

Ideally you get a factory service manual. It might cost $100, but it will be much more thorough than a parts store book. Helms is the FSM brand that comes to mind.

Try changing a heater core in an '80s Factory A/C Mustang. You'll know the definition of pain after that. I have an '84 that needs one.....and a '68 on top of that.....both factory air conditioned. :(

Brew Runner said:
Try changing a heater core in an '80s Factory A/C Mustang. You'll know the definition of pain after that. I have an '84 that needs one.....and a '68 on top of that.....both factory air conditioned. :(

I'll trade your Fox Body heater core (the 68 is relatively painless) for the broken temperature control blend door in my 1999 Expedition...Drop steering column, pull passenger airbag, remove passenger seat and center console, then disassemble the entire dash, pull apart passenger side wheel well housing, pull dash out as far as you can, disassemble heater box....might as well install a new heater core while in there...ack. I've been riding around with this broken for 2 years. dealer wants around $1000 to replace a $30 part. I fully believe engineers should be mechanics for 4-5 years before they're allowed to design anything.

BTW, Brewsmith, did you just put a new mirror of the same style on your truck, or did you put on a new style (like a wider towing mirror)?

merc said:
I'll trade your Fox Body heater core (the 68 is relatively painless) for the broken temperature control blend door in my 1999 Expedition..

Nah, I doubt you would. The only work you could omit is getting into the fenderwell. You would still have to drop the column, remove the driver seat, and pull out the whole dash. If my '84 was actually a non-A/C car, the heater core could be changed from behind the glove box in about a half hour. No A/C was actually a special order option for that car, though.

The '68 will be a PITA because it has factory in-dash A/C and it's a lot more difficult to do if you don't want to disconnect the evaporator lines to get the box out. Luckily my A/C is empty.

merc said:
BTW, Brewsmith, did you just put a new mirror of the same style on your truck, or did you put on a new style (like a wider towing mirror)?
Brand new mirror, same style, just one bolt less...and I only paid $90 for it, from the dealer (employee connection).

Brew Runner said:
Haynes manuals suck and Chilton manuals are totally worthless. I do all my own work on the cars/trucks I have and Haynes manuals are little better than flying blind. I have a Chilton manual for a Toyota truck of mine that actually has false information! Half of the repairs I do can be done without a manual, bit it's nice to have torque specs on hand.

Ideally you get a factory service manual. It might cost $100, but it will be much more thorough than a parts store book. Helms is the FSM brand that comes to mind.

+1 the haynes and chilton manuals should be used as a guidline, but not followed verbatim.

i have downloaded factory service manuals for acuras if anyone is interested, as well as online owner's manuals for all honda and acura cars.

Back