SauvinBlonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 72 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Secondary optional
Tasting Notes
Smooth, light bodied, fruity, dry mouth feel and tart finish. Great summer sipper!
I picked up some Nelson Sauvin hops at my LHBS and wanted a recipe that really showcased the hops since I hadn't had them in anything before. I had recently brewed BierMuncher's awesome "Centennial Blonde" and really liked the way the hops came through so I decided to use it as my inspiration, so props go to BM!

I am extremely happy with how this came out and am really a fan of the Nelson Sauvin hops! They are definitely not for everyone but the flavor that they give off is like no other hop I have ever tried. This is a light bodied beer that is not too high in ABV so it is perfect and refreshing for these hot summer months.

You can smell the grape notes from the hops distinctly in the nose and also get a nice crisp tartness in the finish.

I would recommend mashing low to keep this beer dry and crisp as that plays very well with the hops.

Enjoy!

DSC01828.jpg

Ingredients:

8 pounds American 2-Row
1 pound white wheat malt
.5 pound Vienna malt
.5 pound Crystal 10L

.25 ounce Nelson Sauvin (12.60%) 60 min
.30 ounce Nelson Sauvin (12.60%) 15 min
.30 ounce Nelson Sauvin (12.60%) 5 min
.40 ounce Nelson Sauvin (12.60%) flameout

Mashed at 152 for 60 min. Fermented at 68 degrees for 14 days then upped temp to 72 for 1 week (transferring to a secondary would improve clarity but I didn't bother).

kingmatt said:
Yes, I used Notty but Safale-05 would work fine as well.

Cool I think I'm going to try this. I just ordered some of these hops and are excited to try them

Back