First Time Building Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning 10G of Bier Muncher's Centennial Blonde for my next brew. I can't get any info from my water company so I want to start from Distilled or RO water and build from scratch.
I know nothing about water chemistry.

What base water should I start with and what should I add to it for the ideal water for a blonde? I plan on building the water for about 15 Gallons going into the HLT all together.

IMO, it isn't worth the trouble to build water from scratch by adding various chemicals and minerals to RO or distilled water. There's a lot to it and unless you are an advanced chemist it will be hit or miss with the odds leaning towards a miss. The feds require your water company to provide you with a free water report. I would ask again politely and if you they refuse to provide it, threaten to report them to the authorities. That should get you some results. I don't know anyone who builds water as you plan to do. Some add minor amounts of stuff like calcium chloride, brewing salts or sometimes acid, but most don't. I will blend distilled water with my tap water to soften it for light lagers, and I use the salts for some brews, but my water modifications are minor. I do carbon filter my tap water, but not much more than that. Is there something that makes you think that your water is not good enough to brew with?

Glad to hear you are wanting to experiment with water. First off is read as much as you can, start here if you haven't already:
http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

I could say a million things but the thing is you need to understand what is happening behind the scenes and just telling you doesn't let you understand to make your own water for every batch you do.

One of the main things is the Cl to SO4 ratio which will have a considerable determination in how malty or bitter the beer is. The other thing is ph, you really need to track your ph and know what you should be at, then know how to change it if needed.

Toward the bottom of the link above, the main contributing ions are listed, what they do, what is a good range to be in and such. I have not done BMs Cent Blonde but am thinking it should be a well balanced beer between malt and bitterness so you would want to keep your Cl/SO4 ratio pretty even depending on your hop schedule and if there will be any residual sweetness in the beer. I am still very much a beginner at this too but I am picking a few things up.

I could say a million things but the thing is you need to understand what is happening behind the scenes and just telling you doesn't let you understand to make your own water for every batch you do.

I have not done BMs Cent Blonde but am thinking it should be a well balanced beer between malt and bitterness so you would want to keep your Cl/SO4 ratio pretty even depending on your hop schedule and if there will be any residual sweetness in the beer. I am still very much a beginner at this too but I am picking a few things up.

I agree with humann_brewing and will add this.

If you want to use your tap water then call your local water plant. I found your water report online and it lacks the needed info so call them and ask the basics of how much Ca, Cl, Mg, Alkalinity(is on the report but see if they measure it as CaCO3 or HCO3), Sulfates, and Sodium are in your water. It should fluctuate so they should give you a range and an average. I called my local water plant and they were helpful. Especially when I told them what I was using it for.:mug:
Here's your report with contact info.
http://www.rosscowater.org/wp-content/reports/rcwc6.pdf

Next download an online spreadsheet and enter your water profile numbers. Palmer has one and a guy in my homebrew club made one. Both can be found here:

http://www.antiochsudsuckers.com/tom/residual-alkalinity.xls
http://howtobrew.com/section3/Palmers_Mash_RA_ver2e.xls

If you still use RO water just use the 100% option on the spreadsheets and the mineral content will start at zero.

There's plenty of info here and elsewhere online on this subject and it took me a while to digest. From personal experience I would recommend keeping the mineral additions to a minimum. I have screwed up a batch making adjustments to my water armed with a spreadsheet and a lack of knowledge so I highly recommend moderation when adding brewing salts. Hell...I recommend moderation with most everything these days. Good luck.

Is there something that makes you think that your water is not good enough to brew with?
Previous light beer attempts having a harsh bitterness in the back of the throat.

If you want to use your tap water then call your local water plant. I found your water report online and it lacks the needed info so call them and ask the basics of how much Ca, Cl, Mg, Alkalinity(is on the report but see if they measure it as CaCO3 or HCO3), Sulfates, and Sodium are in your water.
/QUOTE]
I've already done this. I got a water report, when it came I saw the info I was needing was missing so I called again. They don't test for these things is what I was told. This is why i want to start from scratch.

Glad to hear you are wanting to experiment with water. First off is read as much as you can, start here if you haven't already:
http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

One of the main things is the Cl to SO4 ratio which will have a considerable determination in how malty or bitter the beer is. The other thing is ph, you really need to track your ph and know what you should be at, then know how to change it if needed.

Toward the bottom of the link above, the main contributing ions are listed, what they do, what is a good range to be in and such. I have not done BMs Cent Blonde but am thinking it should be a well balanced beer between malt and bitterness so you would want to keep your Cl/SO4 ratio pretty even depending on your hop schedule and if there will be any residual sweetness in the beer. I am still very much a beginner at this too but I am picking a few things up.
I would love to start experimenting but have no base to go off since my water company seems to be the SUXORZ. hence the desire to build from scratch.

I appreciate the help for the links to educate my self and I plan on it, but I also am hoping to order ingredients today in the next 3.5 hours and would like to order any chemicals at the same time? Anyone experienced know any specifics?

Building your water isnt hard at all. I have been building mine from Distilled almost all year.

#1. Id suggest using a suitable water profile calcualtor. Either Brewater 3.0 or the calc. at Brewers Friend. Use one that TELLS YOU how much of each salt to use... I hate slide rules, the program should be able to tell YOU what to add.

#2. There are plenty of water profiles out there. From "How to Brew" online to the library contained in Brewater3.0, the hard work is already done.

Add your mash water addition to the MASH (wont dissolve in just water) and add your sparge water addition to the BK when you boil.

You WILL need a highly accurate jewelers scale (down to .1g) to measure the additions. These are available on Amazon/Ebay for $20 or less Here is mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O37TDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You arent ordering chemicals... really, you are ordering salts, minerals... etc. that naturally occur in water. I have on hand:

Calcuim Chloride
Gypsum
Canning Salt
Calcium Carbonate
Baking Soda
Epsom Salt

With these additions and an accurate scale, you can nail any water profile easy. I DO recommend Brewater3.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Previous light beer attempts having a harsh bitterness in the back of the throat.

I would love to start experimenting but have no base to go off since my water company seems to be the SUXORZ. hence the desire to build from scratch.

I appreciate the help for the links to educate my self and I plan on it, but I also am hoping to order ingredients today in the next 3.5 hours and would like to order any chemicals at the same time? Anyone experienced know any specifics?

I understand, I know some stuff about my local water but I am not confident in the consistency so I usually dilute half and half to compensate or just go 100% neutral water and build up.

Where are you ordering from? I would suggest getting all the basics (gypsum, CaCl, chalk) on your order, the others like Epson salt and baking soda, you can get from your local store. Do you use beersmith? It has a water adjustment thing built right in. The key to starting is to know what you water has and if you do 100% distilled, that is easy. Next determine the number in ppm of each ion you want to have or get close to.

Next start playing with the tools like in beersmith or there are tons on the internet too. I know POI has one he likes that is in web form

EDIT: wow my ears must be burning, POI made it in here before I could mention his name.

I wouldn't skip over directly to building from RO if you can't get a report from your waterco. Just send a sample to wardlab. It's a lot easier to correct a slightly off profile than it is to build from scratch (unless you want to). My problem is that distilled runs about $1.15 a gallon around here and the payback on an RO system will take at least 100 gallons. I came to find that my water is generally right down the middle only requiring 1-2g of any salt no matter what I brew. Gypsum for light/amber beers and Chalk/Baking Soda for dark. I only need to dilute with RO for Pils/Helles.

FWIW, a lot of brewing software programs have "water profilers". But, they dont calculate what you need, they just show you what happens when you change the additions.

Brewater 3.0 needs TWO things:

Your current water profile
Your target water profile (has a full library of water profiles to choose from)

Push "Calculate"

It will tell you exactly what salts to add, and in exactly what quantities. This is why I love this software. Trial and error stinks.

My municipality told me the same thing. I did send off to wards lab and I had the results in just a few days. I use Palmers_Mash_RA_v_2d excel program. What a wonderful tool. You can enter in all of your information, and viola, done. I don't know how to post the spreadsheet, or even where I got it, but I use it on every brew. My water is extremely hard, and I have to cut it with distilled water, and add the appropriate minerals and salts.
My PH comes out right in every mash.
It is my understanding that no salts are needed in the sparge water, only the ph needs to be adjusted. I might be wrong, but I only add a small amount of acid to the sparge water to put it in place.

Good luck and play with that Palmer spread sheet, it is wonderful.

You do have to calculate additions for your sparge water. I mean, if half your wort comes from the mash water, and half from the sparge water... if you DO NOT adjust the sparge water, you are effectively diluting by 50% the additions you just made to your mash water.

This being said, like I stated in my previous post, the sparge water salts go in the BK, NOT the sparge water.

IMO, it isn't worth the trouble to build water from scratch by adding various chemicals and minerals to RO or distilled water. There's a lot to it and unless you are an advanced chemist it will be hit or miss with the odds leaning towards a miss. The feds require your water company to provide you with a free water report. I would ask again politely and if you they refuse to provide it, threaten to report them to the authorities. That should get you some results. I don't know anyone who builds water as you plan to do. Some add minor amounts of stuff like calcium chloride, brewing salts or sometimes acid, but most don't. I will blend distilled water with my tap water to soften it for light lagers, and I use the salts for some brews, but my water modifications are minor. I do carbon filter my tap water, but not much more than that. Is there something that makes you think that your water is not good enough to brew with?

Totally false statement Chemist, please. I have been RO water for years and with programs like Beertools, Plamers Spreedsheet, Brewater, it is very easy to do. Read and read more will help you become a better brewer. Just about every brewer I know who enter comps build there water from scratch.

Well, just about every brewer I know who enters comps don't build their water from scratch. Many of them also do very well in the competitions. I've done pretty well myself this year. By all means, screw with your water if you desire. Not trying to tell anyone what to do at all. It was simply my opinion. You have yours and I have mine and there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for all the tips and links everyone. I'm excited about getting into water profiles and yeast starters to bring my brewing up a notch. This go round will probably just use my own water and get an idea of it. In the mean time I like the idea of sending a sample in. I'd like to know what I have cause I'm sure it is easier to correct an existing profile than build one 100%

Keep in mind that it is much easier to create a water profile than it is to correct to match one. Remember, you cannot take out high levels of some compounds, you can only add. I just found it much easier to start from scratch than to try to figure out a dilution rate for each water profile, determine the compostiion of said dilution, then build. It is easy to create a water profile from RO or Distilled, much harder to do when you are not starting with a blank slate.

I wouldn't skip over directly to building from RO if you can't get a report from your waterco. Just send a sample to wardlab. It's a lot easier to correct a slightly off profile than it is to build from scratch (unless you want to). My problem is that distilled runs about $1.15 a gallon around here and the payback on an RO system will take at least 100 gallons. I came to find that my water is generally right down the middle only requiring 1-2g of any salt no matter what I brew. Gypsum for light/amber beers and Chalk/Baking Soda for dark. I only need to dilute with RO for Pils/Helles.

+1

Also note that naturally occurring water sources have minerals other than chloride, sulfate, magnesium, calcium and bicarbonate. Think zinc and copper which we know are fermentation positive etc. If you build from distilled I would recommend yeast nutrient.

Really though, get the RA right, get the sulfate to chloride ratio in the ballpark, lower the pH of the sparge water if you fly sparge and don't want to watch the pH or gravity of the runnings closely. Its not rocket science.

Maybe you have horrible water and you need to dilute it every time or even start from RO every time, most people do not have water like that.

I agree with Pol and remilard. To make water adjustments you have to know what you are starting with. Build it from RO and add some yeast nutrient to make up for the other things yeast need. It is simple and you can eliminate the harsh taste you've had in other light beers.

You do have to calculate additions for your sparge water. I mean, if half your wort comes from the mash water, and half from the sparge water... if you DO NOT adjust the sparge water, you are effectively diluting by 50% the additions you just made to your mash water.

This being said, like I stated in my previous post, the sparge water salts go in the BK, NOT the sparge water.

After listening to all four of jamil and palmers webcasts on water, I was under the assumption that the water mattered in the mash, not the boil kettle. That is why we adjust water, to offset the buffering power of darker grains, or lack of in lighter grains. Using the above mentioned RA spreadsheet, it gives you the amount of salts to add to the mash, and also an option for adding acid to sparge water, to lower the PH of the "source water".

On the same note, listen to all of the webcast on the brewing network about water. Palmer talks about his spreadsheet and they really put it into and easy to understand format.

I use Brewater3.0....

But, if one is to say that the composition of the sparge water doesnt matter, that is as if to say that your water profile does not affect your hop flavor profile. I mean, if you do NOT adjust your sparge water (I dont know anyone that doesnt) then you will not have a water profile that will accentuate hop flavor in an IPA lets say... because if you only adjust for the mash, you are then diluting the water with all of the NON adjusted sparge water.

See what I am saying.

So tell me how Moshers ideal pale ale water profile will benefit you, if you DO NOT adjust the sparge water? It wont, it will adjust half of your brew water, and in the BK where the water profile matters for accentuating the hop profile, you just diluted your water salts by adding NON adjusted sparge water. I adjust sparge water.

If I am brewing a Maarzen, I adjust the mash water AND the sparge, why? Because I know for a fact that when that beer is brewed in its native country, the same water that is used for mashing is used for sparge and throughout the process. You cannot adjust half the brew water and not the other half... if you can, then why not only adjust half the mash water? Or a quarter of it? You arent adjusting the water chemistry for the mash only, it is important in the boil too.

If someone can tell me how in the heck only adjusting the mash water, will provide me with the correct water profile in the BK to emphasize say malt or HOP flavor, then I will buy that you only adjust mash water. But, my simple mind cannot fathom how only adusting HALF my brew water will provide me with the correct water profile in the BK, and in my finished beer.

When we talk about adjusting water, it is not only about RA

After listening to all four of jamil and palmers webcasts on water, I was under the assumption that the water mattered in the mash, not the boil kettle. That is why we adjust water, to offset the buffering power of darker grains, or lack of in lighter grains. Using the above mentioned RA spreadsheet, it gives you the amount of salts to add to the mash, and also an option for adding acid to sparge water, to lower the PH of the "source water".

On the same note, listen to all of the webcast on the brewing network about water. Palmer talks about his spreadsheet and they really put it into and easy to understand format.

Here I thought we adjusted it to match the brew water of the originating country or location to emphasize certain properties of the beer, including hops... which will require the adjustment of sparge water. I thought it was about more than RA, and actually about the ratio of the water salts being in a specific balance to accentuate the flavor of the beer.

Adjusting water is not just to adjust for grain buffering, it is used to accentuate properies of the malt or hops depending on style. Only adjusting the mash water will not help to accentuate the hop profile of an IPA, because you are not adjusting the sparge water, thus not getting the correct water chemistry into the kettle.

Adjusting water is not only about RA... it is about the ratio of the salts in the water and how they affect the flavor of the beer. If you do not adjust sparge water, then you are throwing your salt ratios out of whack in the kettle, where you want them to be in balance as well.

Pol, I understand what you are saying, I am just saying something a little different. Adjusting the Residual Alkalinity just gives you an area to deal with a beer of a certain color to hit the right mash PH. Also, with this you can adjust the cloride to sulfate ratio to better suit a style of beer, from malty to bitter. I am by no means an expert, just able to imput numbers into palmers spreadsheet and nomographs.

Heck, I might be messing those up to...

I am not talking about hitting a specific water style of an area of the world. If this is the case, it most certainly makes sense to adjust all water used on brew day.

If someone can tell me how in the heck only adjusting the mash water, will provide me with the correct water profile in the BK to emphasize say malt or HOP flavor, then I will buy that you only adjust mash water. But, my simple mind cannot fathom how only adusting HALF my brew water will provide me with the correct water profile in the BK, and in my finished beer.

Bamforth believes that mash pH is most of the story (specifically that there is no evidence that chloride and sulfate are important).

Palmer, Daniels and Mosher believe that mash pH and also chloride to sulfate ratio (and to a lesser extent, sodium) are important.

Everyone agrees that you need some calcium and magnesium but by no means does everyone agree with the 50 ppm calcium floor set by Palmer and Daniels.

Lets consider the Bamforth world view which is that all drinking water has plenty of everything, minerals in reasonable amounts aren't important to flavor, and only chlorine removal and mash pH are worth considering.

Obviously under this world view, you fix the mash pH (and if necessary the sparge pH by acidifying the sparge water) and you go on with your day. This is VERY typical of how commercial breweries treat water.

Let's assume Palmer is right and you also need to maybe add some calcium and choose a chloride to sulfate ratio. Well, you can choose additions to the mash that will both give you the correct RA for the mash AND the correct chloride to sulfate ratio in the boil (accounting for the combination with sparge water). So in the Palmer universe you are worried about more stuff, but you can take the view of fixing the mash pH while fixing the chloride to sulfate ratio for ALL of the water or you can alternately take the view of fixing the mash pH while fixing the chloride to sulfate ratio of the mash water and then later fix the chloride to sulfate ratio of the rest of the water.

Worst case scenario, you believe Palmer and you have three moving parts (calcium in the fermenter, chloride to sulfate ratio in the fermenter, pH in the mash).

If there is a persuasive argument for matching a city's brewing water exactly, I have not heard it.

Well, I guess I am doing it all wrong, shucks...

Guess I will keep doing it too, I am so ashamed.

Hey, I thought I would throw some Bamforth out there. It seems like he is infallible when it comes to HSA.

Bamforth believes that mash pH is most of the story (specifically that there is no evidence that chloride and sulfate are important).

Palmer, Daniels and Mosher believe that mash pH and also chloride to sulfate ratio (and to a lesser extent, sodium) are important.

Everyone agrees that you need some calcium and magnesium but by no means does everyone agree with the 50 ppm calcium floor set by Palmer and Daniels.

Lets consider the Bamforth world view which is that all drinking water has plenty of everything, minerals in reasonable amounts aren't important to flavor, and only chlorine removal and mash pH are worth considering.

Obviously under this world view, you fix the mash pH (and if necessary the sparge pH by acidifying the sparge water) and you go on with your day. This is VERY typical of how commercial breweries treat water.

Let's assume Palmer is right and you also need to maybe add some calcium and choose a chloride to sulfate ratio. Well, you can choose additions to the mash that will both give you the correct RA for the mash AND the correct chloride to sulfate ratio in the boil (accounting for the combination with sparge water). So in the Palmer universe you are worried about more stuff, but you can take the view of fixing the mash pH while fixing the chloride to sulfate ratio for ALL of the water or you can alternately take the view of fixing the mash pH while fixing the chloride to sulfate ratio of the mash water and then later fix the chloride to sulfate ratio of the rest of the water.

Worst case scenario, you believe Palmer and you have three moving parts (calcium in the fermenter, chloride to sulfate ratio in the fermenter, pH in the mash).

If there is a persuasive argument for matching a city's brewing water exactly, I have not heard it.

:rockin: This is a bump because this thread rocks and I would hate to see it die off, as it is one of the best water building threads that start from the epicenter and continues forth. Pol has done a great job starting from square one and continuing forth with the process of water building...I agree with Pol wholeheartedly in that the sparge water (whether fly or batch) needs to be treated along with the mash water. Palmer has already gone on record as saying his nomagraph and his spreadsheet are nothing more than "arm-waving" which tells me if you are close you are good...this is a red flag when water building and somewhat, IMHO, discredits Mr. Palmer's water building arguments..Maybe Mr. Palmer is paranoid of lawsuits and that is why he disclaims both the nomagraph and his spreadsheet as "arm-waving". But for those of us who truly want to understand water treatement as a vast improvement in brewing technique, it was a severe blow...Again I agree with Pol in referring to Kai as a "genius"...Kai's white papers speak for themselves... but Kai, I believe, was mentored by A.J.Delange (ajdelange), who is very active in another forum and is the true water chemist and genius who has propelled Kai to the forefront...I am just beginning to understand what Pol and other "veteran brewers" have already based their brewing foundations upon... I truly think keeping this thread active for beginners and intermediate "water-manipulators" would be a great benefit to this forum..... just my humble opinion.... cheers!!

Hello,
I've been using spring water and 5.2 Stablizer. I want to start modifying my own water or building water from RO.

I have a couple of questions.
1. I've read lots of threads and articles stating chalk will not dissolve in water and must be put in the mash (acidity from the mash will dissolve chalk). If this is the cause then how will chalk dissolve in sparge water if treating both mash and sparge water.
2. I've reviewed several water building tools and most have 5 or 6 profiles from beer cities - London, Vienna, Pilsen, etc. Where can I get water profile for beer styles? For example, I want to brew a cream ale and really cannot find a recommended profile.
3. When is appropropriate to use lactic acid vs calcium chloride?
Thanks for your help!

I know this started out as an older thread but I have a couple suggestions.

1. It is so important to remember that water profile is important for two reasons: mash pH AND flavor profile. And these two goals are not always met in the same way. AG brewers will need to consider both parameters while extract brewers only care about flavor profile.

2. IMO RO/Distilled is a much better starting point than tap, even if you get your tap analyzed. The reason for this is that in most places the source of your tap water can change - and it is almost guaranteed to change at different times of the year. And as far I know the water supplier doesn't send a card in the mail when they do make a switch. If you start with RO/Distilled you are taking this potential variation out the equation - and it is not hard to find water reports showing the variation to be quite significant.

3. I personally recommend creating your own target profile based on the intended flavor you are trying to create. This brings the science to a more personal level - and intentionally so. The goal here is to make good beer, not tasty water.

There are so many resources for this, but when I start a beer I go to section 15.1 of How to Brew http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html and put together my target profile based on the intended flavor and color of the beer I am going to make. Keep in mind we are working in ranges here - not exact numbers.

Then using an online/spreadsheet calculator I put in my water profile (which is all zero's for RO/Distilled) and then enter the target profile I created. Using a water chemistry calculator (I use brewers friend http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/) I come up with the additions I need to hit my flavor profile - and if I am doing AG then I am also looking to hit the correct mash pH.

Done.

Most water chemistry calculators will have some sort of safety feature to alert you if you start going crazy with your additions (at least I know the one I use does). This is an important feature to look for.

4. IMO you really don't need an extremely accurate scale. We are using very imprecise ballpark numbers to begin with, so it seems non-value added to spend any amount of effort on being precise. As long as you have something that can measure down to the gram that is good enough.

5. Additions should be added at the respective stages of the brew.

For extract brewing everything goes in the boil kettle.

For AG, assuming you calculate your additions for the total boil volume you would add a pro-rated amount according to the strike water volume in the mash tun, and then the rest can be added in the boil kettle. If you try to add your additions to the strike water or sparge water in the HLT that won't work. The salts will precipitate out, so you want to add only to the mash tun and/or the boil kettle.

6. As I mentioned before - I am pretty sure that most of this information is not scientifically verified. That doesn't make it wrong or bad but the best thing you can do is try some experimentation to find what works for you. I think this is almost a necessary step.

7. In light of all of this I encourage you to think about the water profile as a part of the recipe. I know in my experimentation that I can make a the same recipe taste incorrectly bitter or overwhelmingly sweet - all by altering the water profile. This influence on flavor should be considered as another variable in the recipe - just as much as grain, yeast, or hops. For example, if you were making a sweet style like Scottish Ale or even a Hefe, it might not be a good idea to go low on the IBU range AND target a malty/sweet water profile - or maybe, like me, you like that kind of thing. The point is that this opens up a lot of options for you to play with, but at the same time is also means there is more room for error, and acceptably so.

Building your water isnt hard at all. I have been building mine from Distilled almost all year.

#1. Id suggest using a suitable water profile calcualtor. Either Brewater 3.0 or the calc. at Brewers Friend. Use one that TELLS YOU how much of each salt to use... I hate slide rules, the program should be able to tell YOU what to add.

#2. There are plenty of water profiles out there. From "How to Brew" online to the library contained in Brewater3.0, the hard work is already done.

Add your mash water addition to the MASH (wont dissolve in just water) and add your sparge water addition to the BK when you boil.

Great recommendations Pol - Thanks!

Questions for RO water users:

1. Do you use yeast nutrients at all? I've read that RO water will be (may be) low in some things that yeasties like to eat.

2. I've read that RO'ing your water will get you 90-95% of the way to distilled water where Ca/Mg/Na/Cl/SO4 are all close to 0. I'm assuming that the pH will also be near 7 (neutral).

3. And finally - can anyone recommend a commercial RO system? I don't see the point of the tank system since most tanks are only 3-5 gallons in size. (I'd need a 20 gallon tank for the batches I do).

Kal

Great recommendations Pol - Thanks!

Questions for RO water users:

1. Do you use yeast nutrients at all? I've read that RO water will be (may be) low in some things that yeasties like to eat.

2. I've read that RO'ing your water will get you 90-95% of the way to distilled water where Ca/Mg/Na/Cl/SO4 are all close to 0. I'm assuming that the pH will also be near 7 (neutral).

3. And finally - can anyone recommend a commercial RO system? I don't see the point of the tank system since most tanks are only 3-5 gallons in size. (I'd need a 20 gallon tank for the batches I do).

Kal

The water in Corpus Christi is pretty bad. It tastes quite bad, has high RA, and has occasional E. coli problems so we have very high chloramines. This lead me to just build from RO rather than deal with all those problems otherwise. However, the water out of my system is super tasty, and apparently makes decent beer too, when I use brewater to replicate the water I would like for a particular batch.

1) I always use yeast nutrients, but that is just because I like quick fermentations, I don't know if it helps with rebuilt water. I have friends that brew with just RO water, and they seem to make decent beer with no nutrients added.

2) Correct. However, it just means there is little in the water to affect pH, so it may measure something crazy if you measure it. Don't worry about the pH, until you get it mashed in, as long as your ions are the right ratios and concentrations.

3) I use a 6 stage unit with a 10, 5, then 1 micron carbon filters before the 75 gpd membrane with 98% rejection, then through a 'polishing' 1 micron carbon filter. I use a permeate pump (to boost pressure after the RO membrane) because I use RO for my icemaker, therefore I have a pressure tank as well. However, I store the brewing water in a brute trashcan with a floatvalve (super necessary, or you will absolutely get RO water everywhere, trust me from experience) and let it fill slowly.

You could probably get by with a more normal system like this one:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MM/RO_MIGHTY_MITE_SYSTEM_50GPD.html

Latest posts

Back