Another new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyiv

Reaction score
I am just starting into the hobby and recently bought a mr beer, just put it in primary today actually. Im already looking at better equiptment. Can you tell me is this Deluxe Equipment Kit - Rebel Brewer a good kit? It looks like quality stuff from what I can tell. Are there any better starter kits around that I should be looking at?

That is a better looking AND cheaper kit than my first kit! The only thing I would suggest would be to go to your LHBS. I know at mine, the price is pretty much the same as online shopping plus shipping. The benefit is that if you have a owner you trust, he/she can point you towards components you really need and those you don't. Not to mention - you can customize your purchases and buy equipment that will allow you to upgrade in the future.

Good luck and happy brewing! Welcome to the gang!

Looks good - really good! Two suggestions for additions: I think a bottling bucket that is only for that purpose is really helpful (with a spigot that you can attach the hose and bottling wand to) and an autosiphon is soooo great!

I also love having a vinator http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/3240749637_fb71374664.jpg?v=0 and a drying rack for the bottles.

And the list of other potential items is endless . . .

Cheers!

Hey Dave, welcome to HBT!

The suggestions above are good. You may want to spend some time cruising the Equipment forum as well.

cheers!

+1 on auto siphon. I personally always bottle with the auto siphon. I prefer to use that over the spigot on the bottling bucket, so I would consider the bottling bucket optional. I have one, I just don't use it.

Also, i find the spoon and paddle shown here are too flexible and difficult to use. I have a long stainless steel spoon that I way prefer.

Besides that it looks like a great kit! Have fun!!

It does look like a good kit with a good price. I've only had a bottling bucket with spigot so I'm not sure what it would be like to work without a spigot. I also just picket up a vinator and I hope it will make life easier.

It does look like a good kit with a good price. I've only had a bottling bucket with spigot so I'm not sure what it would be like to work without a spigot. I also just picket up a vinator and I hope it will make life easier.

You will love it! Makes the bottling go much faster and streamlined.

Another thought - one of the best pieces I bought was the Thermtech Thief: Brewcat.com Homebrew Supplies: Fermtech Thief (I just picked the first link from google)
As long it is well sanitized, you don't have to sacrifice any beer when taking a reading. Although I'm about to invest in a refractometer, I would still say this is one of the most valuable tools in my current arsenal.

Back