When to stop collecting wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
I've had issues with my AG tasting watered down when I drink them. I think part of this may have to do with collecting too much wort from my mash tun. Is there a way to figure out when you've gotten enough out of your mash?

Could also be not a large enough grain bill for the recipe. What size batches are you making? Can you cite a specific recipe you are working with?

Back on topic, what was your mash temp? If you were mashing at say 147-151*F, your final product will be lighter and crisp in body which is great for certain beers, but not suitable for others.

I've had issues with my AG tasting watered down when I drink them. I think part of this may have to do with collecting too much wort from my mash tun. Is there a way to figure out when you've gotten enough out of your mash?
Yes. You need to take a gravity reading. Are you taking readings? Some post that they don't so that's why I ask. Taking readings are the only way to tell if this is a mash issue.

Of course, there are situations that arise when you wouldn't stop at your intended preboil volume but would rather complete a full sparge then if you have over you would boil off the excess - again, only in certain situations. Usually I never have to do this and stop at my preboil volume but I've had a time or two where I went past and boiled off the excess.

Rev.

Back