Crazy fast fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarous

Reaction score
I made an apa last Sunday on the first using some safale s-04 and to my surprise and delight when I checked up on it three days later it had already dropped from an original gravity of 1.060 to 1.010! Hell yeah!

Holy smokes. Thats a fast one. Did the uber fast fermentation create any off flavors?

i've had this happen a couple of times. i just let it sit for three or four weeks anyway and never got any off flavors (not any that me and the boys noticed anyway)

in my experience thats about on par for s-04

what temp did you run it at? how was the krausen?

I had a Helles that I pitched on a previous cake and it was done in 20 hours!! I have no idea how it tastes, it was just an trial run to try repitching. The krausen was a thing of beauty.

I let it ferment at about 74 degrees (we are having a bit of a heat wave haha) but I had a great krausen! Actually it inspired me to start using a blow off tube as it blewout the lid of my fermenter and clogged up my airlock with spent hop pellets

I sure like the s-04 and s-05. They are fast acting, eat a lot and don't need a starter for most of my 1.06x beers. Simply rehydrate with some clean water in a ziplock bag and pour in.

Even when I ferment at ambient room temps of 62F the bubbling is done and yeast are dropping out within 3 days. I still let the yeast clean up for a week or 2.

Wonder how similar the s-05 is to Rogue's awesome Pacman yeast.

Back