Okay, What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdp

Reaction score
the other part of california. Pines, not palms
I just racked to keg with a steam clone I made a few weeks ago. I am getting ready to make another one. The beer was obviously flat, but no off flavors and pretty tasty. Should I use the smack pack and underpitch (as I have recently learned) or just get a scoopfull of the yeast on the bottom of the bucket and pitch that? How about both? the one in the bucket is white labs, and the yeast that came with the ingredents for tonights batch is wyeast. both are thier California common yeast

with tonights runnings, I am going to reserve some for making a starter on the next batch, but that doesn't help me out tonight.

I've always been a reuser of yeast. Why not just use the whole yeast cake on your new batch though? That's pretty standard practice and assures a nice, fast, vigorous fermentation.

what are you trying to do here? i see allot of questions and no explanation of what your trying to do.

I've always been a reuser of yeast. Why not just use the whole yeast cake on your new batch though? That's pretty standard practice and assures a nice, fast, vigorous fermentation.

Would you want a fast, vigorous fermentation with a california common? While that's not a favorite style of mine, I was under the impression that you would want the esters produced during yeast reproduction. Wouldn't using the whole yeast cake make the beer turn out a bit more clean?

I would look into yeast washing. Here's a helpful link to that process.

thats a good write up, I will try that next time.
Unfornately this time I racked into the keg, poured off the top layer of crud, then scooped up just over a cups worth of yeast with a sanitized measureing cup. I then covered it with sanitized saran wrap and stuck it in the fridge. I haven't popped the smack pack yet, but I can still do it if I need to.

I just racked to keg with a steam clone
This would be the previous batch

I am getting ready to make another one.
As in another Steam Clone

Should I use the smack pack and underpitch (as I have recently learned) or just get a scoopfull of the yeast on the bottom of the bucket and pitch that
I have learned here that using one smack pack is underpitching yeast, I am just trying trying to find out if it is worth the effort to use some of the yeast from the previous batch, or if I should just use the smack pack.

How about both?
I don't know if there would be any advantage to using both yeasts. they are similar strains but different brands.

I realize how this post looks, I am not trying to be an arse. I ramble quite a bit and this post is trying to clarify as much as I can.

i would definitely use some of the yeast from the previous batch. i probably wouldn't use all of it though, that will be overpitching, which isn't all bad, but if you use ~1/2 of it (see mr. malty pitch rate calculator for exact mL of yeast to collect), that should be plenty. from what i've experienced and heard, yeast will progressively produce better beers if you use the same batch.

Another vote for repitching. For an average gravity beer I'll pitch from 50-100ml (per 5 gallons of wort) of slurry depending on if it's an ale or lager.

You said you had some minor issues with the last batch, and that you are trying it again. I would start with the fresh yeast. That way in trying to perfect your technique, you wont be stuck wondering if re using the old yeast, had anything to do with it. KISS

Would you want a fast, vigorous fermentation with a california common? While that's not a favorite style of mine, I was under the impression that you would want the esters produced during yeast reproduction. Wouldn't using the whole yeast cake make the beer turn out a bit more clean?

I would look into yeast washing. Here's a helpful link to that process.

Actually, based on the style guidelines it is acceptable to have a light esterous flavor, but should otherwise be clean and crisp. The uniqueness in this style is actually found in the type of yeast that ought to be used. In order for it to be a true California Common, one ought to ferment with a lager yeast at higher fermentation temperatures (60-65 would be optimal). Since you're using an ale yeast (which is still acceptable), you'd want to ooch that up a bit to about 65-68. A strong, vigorous fermentation would not produce anything that would pull it out of the style guidelines and would ensure full attenuation.

You said you had some minor issues with the last batch, and that you are trying it again. I would start with the fresh yeast. That way in trying to perfect your technique, you wont be stuck wondering if re using the old yeast, had anything to do with it. KISS

That was a different batch. I believe those issues are worked out. I also made a couple changes to my brewing ritual to correct the sanitation problems I was having.

Actually, based on the style guidelines it is acceptable to have a light esterous flavor, but should otherwise be clean and crisp. The uniqueness in this style is actually found in the type of yeast that ought to be used. In order for it to be a true California Common, one ought to ferment with a lager yeast at higher fermentation temperatures (60-65 would be optimal). Since you're using an ale yeast (which is still acceptable), you'd want to ooch that up a bit to about 65-68. A strong, vigorous fermentation would not produce anything that would pull it out of the style guidelines and would ensure full attenuation.

The yeast is a lager yeast, WLP810 if I remember correctly. I am not super concerned about style guidelines at this time. I'm not entering any of my beers into competition so as long as they taste good to me, I'm happy.

Cool beans, not saying to get anal about it, but if you want it to be a California Common, then there you go. This is officially my 100th post by the way! Wish there was a prize for that.

Back