Will my first batch be OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeere

Reaction score
Here's my situation:
I did an American Amber Ale kit by Brewer's Best last Saturday afternoon. I followed instructions to the 'T' and even had an experience brewer help me up till fermentation. I had my bucket fermenter in the my basement for untill Monday and I saw basically no action at all (some tiny bubbles along the airlock but no movement) my basement is at 64 degrees constant.

So after 2 days of no action I bring it upstairs in the closet where it's 71 degrees constant. Wednesday morning it finally started bubbling. It's now bubbling almost once every second. I intend on letting it set about 2 weeks before I even crack it open to check it with the hydrometer.

Based on that info... do you experts think will still be a decent batch?

I'm concerned the lag time might've been a little long.
Is fermenting at 64 degrees too cold for ale's, or would I have been OK leaving it stay in my basement?

I'm definetly getting a better bottle for my next batch so I can visually see if fermentation is happening or not.

need a little more info like what yeast are you using and how much did you use. All my beers are done at the lower end of the yeast range ale with S 04 are at 61-64° in a swamp cooler

One of your first batches? Don't worry about it, It sounds like the temps affected the lag a wee teenie bit, and the warmer temps just kicked it up into gear when you brought it up (sounds like it was even about to start 'kickin' in the basement then).

Enjoy it, dream of enjoying it, dream of the next batch while you enjoy it.

To paraphrase C.Pazz. "Eff it, have a beer!"

You may want to read through some of this:

Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

I know that a lot of folks say that 24 to 72 hours is too long, and there are things you can do to speed it up, but I have had several batches that have taken around 60-hours to start. All of them turned out to be good brews. If your sanitation was good, you should be fine.

It is easy for me to say RDWHAHB....but, having been there myself, it is easier said than done. Trust the yeast. They know what they are doing.

So that you know...bubbles don't mean fermentation. While you can use them to know for sure that your beer is actually doing something, it is not at all THE indicator to go by when fermenting a batch. I've had batches where the airlock did nothing, it freaked me out the first time, but I found out it was fine.

It's good that you mentioned you were going to take a hydro reading in two weeks, that is the only sure way to know if something happened. Sounds like your beer is doing great.

Thanks for the reassurance. This is my very first batch and I think I'm hooked already regardless how this batch turns out. I already have ideas and plans for batch #2. I couldn't tell you what kind of yeast I used, it was included in the kit. I think I'll just leave it in the basement next time around, sounds like 64 degrees is good enough.

I realize it was probably fermenting sooner, but inside that bucket you can't see too much. It's carboy time from here on out.

As far as the temps - 71 is a bit warm for most ale yeasts, especially since inside the bucket is 3-8 degrees warmer. The 64 degree basement sounds much better for your future brews, just be patient.

Check the yeast package or the yeast mfg website - your particular strain of yeast always has Temperature Range Recommendations. follow them.

This batch will be fine, your next batch will be better...

Welcome to HBT~!

Maybe, try doing the reverse next time - leave it upstairs for the first day, and then take it down.

Back