Hot Liquor Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is exactly the purpose of the hot liquor tun? I see other peoples brewing set ups and some people have a hot liquor tun. is this a container to send the sparge water to before the boil for a hot protein break?

orfy said:
No. It's just a container to hold and heat the water for mashing and sparging.
Check out my brew gear to see how simple it is.

Okay I see, I guess the word liquor was trowing me a loop. I've used the brew kettle for the heating of the mash and sparge water, but I guess It wold be good to do this in separate container hooked up to a pump for larger volumes.

Depending on your brew setup, it may be impossible to heat the sparge water in the boil kettle. If you're doing an all grain brew, you'll typically run the wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle, and add the sparge water from the HLT to the top of the mash simultaneously. Even with batch sparging, you need an empty boil kettle when you begin the sparge.

beer4breakfast said:
Yuri is right, but when people have equipment limitations, they devise ways around those limitations.

Thats me limited! I do it similarly right now where I heat the water in a spare kettle with a spigot and drip it over the mash in a double bucket, and collect it in the kettle.

I'm in the process of collecting equipment to get a better set up going. I have a spare 5gal water cooler I can covert in to a HLT, now I just have to work it into the plan.

Thanks for the info, I'll be posting a lot of questions in the next few weeks as I try to build my brewing setup, so I'm sure Ill need a lot more advice and guidance.

Back