2Mash Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
Now that the pipeline is getting pretty full I want to do some more disciplined experiments. I plan to make about 3 gallons of wort, and split it into 3 different boils, using a different single hop in each boil. I'll ferment in 1 gallon jugs, and then bottle (ugh - I've never bottled - it seems like a big PITA) the results.

I'm not doing a smash because I'd prefer a more drinkable result, and because the focus is on hops, not the grain.

I plan to end up with more than 1 gallon post-boil in each batch and probably put about .8 gallons in each jug - I'll probably waste some wort, but thats okay given the small quantities - I'd rather make it easy on myself.

I'll be using leaf hops, and just pouring through a strainer & funnel into the fermenters.

I'm trying to keep the IBUs the same, and to keep the proportion over time of IBU additions the same, between the 3 batches.

I'll be mashing (batch sparge) in a 10 gallon igloo cooler with a braid. I've reduced my planned efficiency by about 10 points.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this plan are appreciated.

If the experiment goes well, perhaps I'll do another round keep the hops the same, and changing the timing of the additions, using/not using FWH, etc.

Size: 3.84 gal
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 80%

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 12.57 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 6.03% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Ingredients:
8 lb Maris Otter
.5 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L

Batch 1
Bitterness: 51.5 (30.0 - 45.0)
.5 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added first wort, boiled 20 min
.3 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.7 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Centennial (11.2%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min

Batch 2
Bitterness: 52.2 (30.0 - 45.0)
.7 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added first wort, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.7 oz Cascade (7.6%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min

Batch 3
Bitterness: 51.5 (30.0 - 45.0)
1 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added first wort, boiled 20 min
.6 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.4 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Willamette (5.6%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min

I'm not doing a smash because I'd prefer a more drinkable result, and because the focus is on hops, not the grain.

A couple of minor quibbles:

"SMaSH" stands for Single Malt and Single Hops. That means the focus can be on one, the other, or both. SMaSH is a singularly wonderful way to use a neutral malt - take the malt out of the equation - and focus on the characteristics of different hops varieties.

Why for you think that SMaSH isn't "drinkable"? If that's your assumption, then I question whether or not you appreciate Pilsner or Tripel. ;) In fact, some of the best beers I've ever tasted have been SMaSH beers.

I find distressing the automatic assumption on some brewers' parts that SMaSH = boring.

That said, I like your plan. Do keep us posted with your results!

Bob

I didn't mean to imply that sMasHes are not drinkable. I have only read good things here, especially or MO smashes. That said, I'm much more of a fiend for IPAs and APAs, as opposed to pilsner or other styles.

However I'm sure I'll do a sMasH in the not too distant future, and perhaps this thread will convince me to do one for this particular experiment.

Also a minor anti-quibble to your quibble - the thread is called '2Mash series' in recognition that its not a sMasH.

Greg

I like quibbles. They're cute, like their close relatives, Tribbles. :D

No worries! No matter what, it'll be beer, it'll be yours, and you'll learn something from it. Since you're keeping the grist exactly the same, you're removing a variable; you'll learn heaps about those three hops varieties.

Bob

Back