Sanitizing coffee??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPSareKEY

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed already, but I never read anything that suggested this method...

I am using cold pressed coffee so no heat will be there to sanitize.I was thinking sanitize all containers, grind beans, soak grinds in bourbon for a very short time, drain bourbon, cold brew the coffee.

Is this necessary? Is it even necessary to sanitize coffee?Will it effect the coffee? What is everyone's technique?

Thanks.

Completely unnecessary. You ever seen a moldy coffee bean? I don't think any spoilage organisms can survive on coffee. It's roasted to at least 400 degrees. Then your making an acidic solution. Then you're tossing it into an alcohol solution. Plus, if you soak the coffee in bourbon, you're going to extract most of the flavor you're trying to get in your beer. Although Kentucky coffee stout doesn't sound bad!

Actually if you leave a used French press long enough, you WILL see moldy coffee. I've done it more times than I'm willing to admit.

And if you were going to use spirits to sanitize your coffee, I'd use vodka or everclear and just add the alcohol with the coffee so you don't lose any of the alcohol soluble flavors, but also don't introduce any oaky whiskey favors. Although an Irish whiskey coffee stout sounds awesome.

I've never seen a moldy coffee bean but brewed coffee and used grounds will definitely mold in the course of a couple of days. Probably like starsan in non-distilled water the acids react and breakdown.

That said I think the philosophy of not worrying is pretty sound if concerned make a mush of vodka and ground beans then add water.

Back