Is my APA gonna be a FAIL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
I cooked up a batch of APA on Saturday, and sometime Sunday night fermentation went nutz and blew out my airlock. That isn't my issue. My issue is that while cleaning it up before formation Monday morning, I noticed that the temp was about 73 - 74. I'm using Danstar Nottingham yeast that came with the kit and because of work it had to sit at these temps for an entire day. My question is, are these temps gonna ruin my beer? And if So, what can be done to help at this point?

It won't ruin your beer. You'll be fine.

Ideally you'd like to have pitched lower but it is what it is. My concern would be if you trying to correct your mistake mid fermentation by crashing a 73 degree fermention down to 63 degrees or something. That could stop the fermentation all together so my advice would be to just ride it and try to be a little lower next time...

Breath in, breath out. Michael's right. It may be a little more esthery. But should be okay. Save a couple of bottles, brew another in the near future at a bit lower temp, then taste the difference. A good experiment.

Well the blonde that I brewed 2 Weeks ago also brewed at too high a temp, originally it tasted alot like alcohol, but after another week in secondary I tasted it and it has mellowed out a ton. I'm thinking that my IPA will turn out fine. Think I will start using recipes instead if kits, that way I can pick a yeast that can handle the higher temps.

I would make sure that you leave it in the primary for a extra week or two to clean up the off flavors the yeast made at those temps. With a little aging, you should be fine.

+1 to what Tim said

Notty at those temps is not a nice thing. It throws some seriously weird esters that I personally find horrid. Good news is, they might mellow out over the course of a few months. They never fade out completely but they do reduce a bit in intensity. Try and keep that particular strain as cool as you possibly can. I'm sure you will still have something drinkable. Best of luck in the future and I hope your beer comes out to your liking inspite of your troubles!

Disaster averted. I just took a sample for gravity reading and after tasting the sample (The best part of taking a sample), It seems to have a minimal estery taste or aroma. If it does have more than I can pick up then the hops are doing a great job covering it up. :ban:

Just an update. I like to test a bottle every week after bottling and I'm quite impressed with the outcome. I was surprised by the amount of carbonation in this one after only 1 week! :ban:

20120316_171739.jpg

Latest posts

Back