Oh Crud..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcow_number_6

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying i love the forum. This place is great, I have learned so much just from lurking.

My very first brew (basic wheat beer with 2.5lbs of peaches) is getting bottled tonight. I'm so Excited. Until, that is, i notice the CRACK in my bottling bucket! Its only 2in long, and about a third of the way up, but it still dribbled my test water all down the cabinets. Any Ideas on how to fix this? maybe a bicycle tube patch? a dabble of silicone?

I'll get a new bucket before my next brew day but I really need to bottle this one tonight if i can.

Zach

I think Duct Tape would be fine, You only need it water tight for less than an hour. You just need to get the beer below the leak. The tape should hold that long.

A fermenter, any food grade bucket will work. Make sure you sanitize it. Any fast food joint probably has one headed for the trash they would gladly give you. Duck tape to me would be fine as well, if the crack is large enough to touch the tape I would put some Saran Wrap that is sanitized on the smallest part of tape possible, but no silicone or the like (not food grade).

Right oh

Slapped a strip of the silver fix all on there and Starsan-ed the holy fark out of everything. The Missus stationed herself at the capper and we got 12-22oz 28-12oz 1-18oz bottles before the peach funk started clogging up the filler tube.
I dub thee: "Peachy Wheat"
Quite a successful venture. Cant wait to brew up the next batch!

Thanks for the input

Zach

Glad to hear it turned out well :) I'm sure that's the last problem you will run into whilst brewing :D

Take it back to the store and get a new one if it's a recent purchase. New buckets shouldn't have cracks in them unless you really beat it up.

made me laugh when i realized that most of my gear was bought new in '94 and has been hanging out in the attic of the garage since '96.
Dad brewed one batch. He left it to ferment in the garage with a dirt floor and in summer temps(80-100). First and last batch he ever attempted. Lol.
I found the carboy, buckets, capper, and a tackle box of caps, plugs, hydrometer, and a copy of Charlies book while cleaning. Thought to myself, "hey, i like beer". Cleaned everything up, did some shopping.

And here we are today. One brew down, many more to go.

Old plastic cracks very easily. I took about a 15 year brewing hiatus and when I dug out my stuff to get started again, my fermenter split just from me moving it. It was empty and I didn't bump it; I just picked it up and set it down and....craaaack. I considered myself lucky to have it happen when it did rather than when it was full.

Back