Need a good Oatmeal Stout for 1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am going to start making my 1st homebrew in a few weeks, once my kit comes. I want to brew an Oatmeal Stout for my 1st brew.
Can someone recommend a good one?
I was leaning towards the extract kits on Midwest. What do you think?

Midwest's basic extract oatmeal stout looks OK. It comes with Munton's yeast, which will leave you with a relatively high finish gravity. That will the stout sweeter and leave it with more body than some kits.

Upgrading to the Wyeast Irish Ale would be a good move and give you a drier beer. But, if it's really hot out there, sticking with the Munton's would be wise.

If you've every had a Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, then I think you may want to go with Austin Homebrew's version: Austin Homebrew Supply You can order it as extract, mini-mash or AG.

I haven't tried it yet, but if it's half as good as the real thing, I will be completely satisfied. I'll let you know because I have the AG kit in my closet waiting for a free weekend.

If you've every had a Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, then I think you may want to go with Austin Homebrew's version: Austin Homebrew Supply You can order it as extract, mini-mash or AG.

I haven't tried it yet, but if it's half as good as the real thing, I will be completely satisfied. I'll let you know because I have the AG kit in my closet waiting for a free weekend.

I do like the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Thanks for the recomendation!

Latest posts

Back