American Amber boiling away...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
Just got my American Amber starting to boil. More to come... got to make sure I don't get a boil over...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (90 min) (First Wort HopHops 25.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (20 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.125 oz Whirlfloc(Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 164.0 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
Safale US-05

i have a brewers best american amber kit similar to this that i bottled about a week ago i tried one the other day and its awesome

Well, I guess I will update on this INTERESTING brew night... I got started about 8:30pm, and my first two brews both finished a bit high. After doing some research I saw the positives of a longer mash time having a correlation to lower finishing gravities.

Long story short, I have to split my batches on my stovetop and by 3am, I am fried, and still NO BOIL in BK2!!! WTF So, I clean up so as not to ROYALLY make SWMBO mad (as I was already up way too late) . Too tired, and too late, I do not run the IC as I do not want to have do even more cleaning at this point. I finally head to the couch about 3:15am (so as not to wake SWMBO). Knowing what I do, and reading here forever, I knew not to dump the batch and I just put the lid on BK 2 now that it is no longer steaming.

Wake up at 7am, get ready for work, etc. Check BK #2 and it is down to about 2 -2 1/4 gallons! Holy evaporation.

I pitch it with the content of BK1 (as I do not have another clean/sanitized fermenter to split the batch), aerate, and pitch the yeast. Get 5 gallons into the fermenter instead of my intended 5.5. Oh well. OG into fermenter 1.52 versus target of 1.53.

Get home from work and I have airlock activity.

All I know is that I will NEVER be able to reproduce this beer; hopefully this will be bittersweet in that I end up with an AWESOME beer, just never able to replicate :)

So, that was my adventure!

For the "full story" go here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ill-never-able-duplicate-good-bad-96847/#post1053271

Well, this has been in primary for 28 days today; will rack to keg tonight to carb. Just took hydro and it finished at .008; I am quite happy. The longer mash/boil/yeast certainly helped this finish better than my first two.

The TASTE? Wow, it is just a hydro sample, but it is TASTY.

However, I may have to classify this as more of an APA. The color on beersmith did fall a lil short of an amber, and all of its numbers match up with an APA. And more importantly, I think if the taste remains close to where it is now, an APA (or maybe even AIPA) is very appropriate.

The cascades shine through both in the nose and on the palate; strong spicy and woodsy.

I am going to age in the keg for another 1-2 weeks; it will be a hard wait as this beer is great as is right now, and it is stone flat!

Sweet.

I have a two week old PM Amber sitting here in 5 gallon better bottle. It was a four gallon batch, for my three gallon keg.

3.00lbs 2-row American
2.00lbs Munich Light
0.25lbs toasted 2-row American
1.00lb Muntons Amber DME
1.00lb Corn Sugar

Safale US-05

0.75oz Cascade at 60min
0.25oz Cascade at 5min

Whirfloc added at 15min

OG 1.050

It is a very nice amber color. I plan to keg it next weekend, with a little left over for a couple of 2 liter bottles.

:mug:

Wow! By far my favorite batch to date (although 3 AG batches aren't a lot to compare :) ) Nevertheless, tried my first bottle of this last night (bottled a 6 pack and naturally carbed and kegged the rest- keg is still waiting to go on tap).

It turned out really nice. Strong grassy/woodsy hop flavor and aroma. Bitterness is moderate to heavy without being cloying.

Color is dark gold to orange and clear. Produced a nice 1/2" yellowish head on pour, and left a nice delicate lacing down the side of the glass throughout consumption.

Tasty!

Now I just need to get another batch kegged so this one doesn't go to fast when I have family visit in a couple of weeks! I want to keep this one around to really enjoy and savor!

Back