fellow bottlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbruce

Reaction score
Does any of my fellow bottlers find your bottles of finely crafted homebrew disappear to all your family and friends? Lol I get super excited about how darn tootin good my beers have been turning out I want everyone to try'em and I go to my boxes...lol almost gone!

Time for a a few more new batches! ;-)

Happens alot they just disappear . Especially since the batches have been getting even better!

Yeah I cant make beer fast enough. Between me and my family/friends it doesnt last long.

Lately, the wife has been taking them to her friends houses and friends atg work and just giving them away. Now everyone wants more and wants more. Actually had someone want a 6er to go to his brother in laws house down in NC with. The batch costed me 60 bucks to make and shes just giving the stuff out.

That doesn't happen to me. I guess I never give them the unopened bottle. I always just take them to parties or have parties here where I'm there to get them back!

between me & me, my bottles don't last long either. I think some A-hole keeps drinking them when I'm drunk.

I might be the A-hole.

Ha! That's great! Maybe that's my problem and I just don't remember it lol

I have the exact same bottle. I just replenished my stock after giving all my belgian bottles away at my wedding.

A buddy of mine who just moved gave me a few growlers, so I'm just going to start kegging more. In the future I see myself only bottling gifts, etc.

Well,this is getting to be a new one for me. I gave the lawn care guy one of my dark hybrid lagers about a month or so ago. He shows up yesterday with his brother,bil,whatever & his son. I decided since I was outta smokes that I'd add some new parts to my engine before leaving. Bil sees me pop the hood,& tells them "hey,look at this". It's a tuner,so it's got some of the fast & furious kinda parts on it. The lawn care guy asks "hey,do you have anymore of those home made beers left?". I said,yeah,I got one left in the fridge,with some others I bought. So he gives the HB to his bil,we drink the bud light limes I had laying in there. So we sat there telling stories & drinkin beer. Bil really likes the dark hybrid lager. So I figured I'd put some more of the 3 styles I have ready in the fridge for next week. Kinda nice to get some feedback from non family. I just hope they don't start getting greedy with "free beer"...

Last week we hosted a retirement party for a friend and about 40 guests, and I played "bartender." I didn't want people just helping themselves (I envisioned picking up dozens of 3/4-full bottles of my good homebrew after the party). So I did "tasters" -- I opened a couple bottles of one variety and poured in several small juice glasses. People sampled it and if they liked it I poured them a full one. Then the next variety, and so on. Sort of like at a taproom. If they didn't like the homebrew (a few didn't) there was commercial beer in the fridge for them.

I even won over a wine drinker who "didn't like beer." She tried one of my Kolsch beers and loved it. :)

Just tell people that if they're interested, you will brew them a batch at cost. Or you can maybe grab a six pack from it as payment. That should keep them off your back for a while.

I have my brother in law cover the cost of the grains, hops, yeast, and water. He keeps the batch minus 12 for me and SWMBO. It works out well for me, and he gets about 40 craft brews a pop.

brewskisteve said:
Lately, the wife has been taking them to her friends houses and friends atg work and just giving them away. Now everyone wants more and wants more. Actually had someone want a 6er to go to his brother in laws house down in NC with. The batch costed me 60 bucks to make and shes just giving the stuff out.

$60? What the heck did you brew?

Just tell people that if they're interested, you will brew them a batch at cost. Or you can maybe grab a six pack from it as payment. That should keep them off your back for a while.

I do indeed like the shared cost proposition, even going halves on a brew or even ask for a " beer fund donation " lol
I made a few quarts of some " peach pie hooch " and gave 1 jar to a coworker...people started asking for some and I said "if ya want it, it costs me $10 a quart to make so that's your cost" they stopped asking pretty quick

I do indeed like the shared cost proposition, even going halves on a brew or even ask for a " beer fund donation " lol
I made a few quarts of some " peach pie hooch " and gave 1 jar to a coworker...people started asking for some and I said "if ya want it, it costs me $10 a quart to make so that's your cost" they stopped asking pretty quick

Well if they arent willing to pay the flat cost then whatever, let them go buy beer for 2-3 times as much. I bought a 6 pack of hopslam for $16 then filled up the same bottles with a delicious homebrew ipa (that was even better IMO) which cost me about a dollar per bottle.

Edit - yeah I didnt really look at your cost, it can get pricey, depends on what your making. You get what you pay for though I suppose. And if they don't know the difference between craft beer and cheap stuff then they don't deserve it.

Back