Most over/under rated hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't mind at all if I never tasted Chinook again. It just hits all the wrong buttons for my palette, which is especially frustrating since it seems like it is in more than half of the commercial IPA's out there.

Whoever says Simcoe is over-rated hasn't had Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. Dangerously drinkable beer brewed with only Simcoe. Oh Mylanta is that muy bueno. Brewed a CDA 2 weeks ago I call "Meta World Peace" with Simcoe first wort hopped, and loaded up on some Simcoe at knockout, and the samples i took yesterday were bangerang. :ban:

What do you think about warrior I don't hear about much use of it

Warrior is my go-to for bittering in IPA's and APA's. It's pretty neutral and a little will go a long way, but you need a hefty amount of other flavor and aroma hops to make anything good with it.

To address the original question... We all have our individual paletes, so the answers are highly subjective. I feel all noble hops are over rated. In my opinion, they are bland. I also haven't been thrilled with commercial hop blends like Falconer's Flight or Zythos. I don't mind Centenial Type though. Amarillo is also boring to me without something else added for more depth in flavor and aroma.

Now Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus? I'll take them and use the heck out of them.

I feel like all of the engineered, copyrighted, trademarked, etc. hops are overrated. They try to hit a niche market with a specific flavor, drum up some interest, then limit the hell out of the supply once it starts to take off. Amarillo, Citra, I'm looking at you.

I gotta say I do like Noble hops, for no reason other than that they're super inexpensive to use to cook up a decent quaffable brews on a budget.

Why the heck I bought Czech hops for a Belgian....

Basically I panic every time I go to the brew shop. Unless I'm making another pale ale, then I'm good.

Galena is a very underrated bittering hop. It provides very clean bittering. I've used it with many aroma/flavor combinations and so far it works well with everything.

mike_in_ak said:
And I do like Pilsmer Urquell, so there is that.

Czech Saaz is the most popular hop in Belgian beers, especially saisons and farmhouse ales. Belgium has never had many acres if hops so they came from Germany, Slovenia, or Bohemia(Czech). Probably Styrian Goldings for Belgian strong ales, ideally.

Your fine! Saaz is nice but unspectacular! People are spoiled with citrus bombs. They're mild, a little spicy, just great in some beers.

Personally, Amarillo is so overrated. Hard to find and doesn't add much to my beers. I'll go with Summit for underrated, unbelievable aroma.

I bottled an Amarillo smash last night and it's pretty much awesome.

But I like beer.

It might have been equally awesome with simcoe, cascade, centennial, or all these underrated hops you're talking about.

I bottled an Amarillo smash last night and it's pretty much awesome.

But I like beer.

It might have been equally awesome with simcoe, cascade, centennial, or all these underrated hops you're talking about.

I'm the only one who said centennial is overrated. I can only think of one beer ever that features centennial that I love. Two hearted. Anytime I have used them, or friends have, the results have been less than stellar.

I'm the only one who said centennial is overrated. I can only think of one beer ever that features centennial that I love. Two hearted. Anytime I have used them, or friends have, the results have been less than stellar.

Sounds like you need to learn how to use them, then.

chiteface said:

What I read: Two Hearted, a beer that uses only Centennial hops, is amazing. Centennial is over rated.

What I said. Name another beer that features centennial that is great. I find it to be a temperamental hop that is challenging to make beer with. Maybe I do need to learn to use it, but that would further justify my point. Why do that when I can use a dozen other hops that don't provide me with the same challenges. Hell I would rather use centennial type.

chiteface said:

Stone Ruination is all Centennial... There's a few other great beers

I think Amarillo is probably overrated. I actually really enjoy it when mixed with other hops, but I on it's own it's really one dimensional. It's lack of consistent availability seems to make artificially increase it's demand.

Crystal is an underrated hop. It has a fantastic floral aroma. It's low alpha, but packs a wallop of aroma. It has a similar floral character as Centennial, only even stronger.

Merkur is another underrated hop. It's a high alpha, extremely clean bittering hop, but also has a great, stronger Hallertau character in flavor/aroma additions.

Founders Centennial IPA is delicious as well.

Underrated - CTZ, super cheap and incredible orange / dankness when used late.

I really like Perle to bitter with, especially in dark beers.

"All Centennial"?

I'm not up on my nomenclature, but Ruination is bittered with Columbus (CTZ). Or, do we not count those?

For example... is Double Simcoe bittered with only Simcoe?

+1 Northern Brewer and Willamette - if you like deep earthy then these add tasty complexity to balance citrus/flowery from other hops additions. (Of course, there are other good substitutions for these, but I think of these two as backbone or workhorse hops.)

Citra is overrated IMO.

Rakau is under-rated. Absolutely beautiful notes on that hop. Probably one of the very few NZ hops that I really love.

Just made a Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Citra IIPA and I'm telling you the Nelson has rendered it almost undrinkable. I've loved most NZ hops to this point, but Nelson has done me wrong. I'll let the keg age a little longer and see how it tastes in a couple weeks.

Underrated: cluster, nugget and brewer's gold. Many of the most aromatic beers I've drank have had cluster and/or nugget in them at some point. Plus they don't get all the overpowering (and hard to graft) flavours of, say, amarillo, simcoe, citra or nelson sauvin. And brewer's gold is just incredible: red fruit, peach, NO citrus, NO grapefruit!

Just made a Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Citra IIPA and I'm telling you the Nelson has rendered it almost undrinkable. I've loved most NZ hops to this point, but Nelson has done me wrong. I'll let the keg age a little longer and see how it tastes in a couple weeks.

Bought a pd of nelson after this years crop came out and boy am i pissed, didnt spend to much on it just dont like it as a late addition just takes away from everything else.

Underrated hop would have to be Nugget, love its clean bittering and versitile play in the boil

Overrated i would have to say Nelson, way to overpowering.

Bought a pd of nelson after this years crop came out and boy am i pissed, didnt spend to much on it just dont like it as a late addition just takes away from everything else.

Underrated hop would have to be Nugget, love its clean bittering and versitile play in the boil

Overrated i would have to say Nelson, way to overpowering.

Exactly my thoughts. If I use it again, it'll be strictly for up front bittering. No way am I letting it take precedence as either a late addition or dry hop ever again. Btw, if you read the New Zealand Hop Growers website on Nelson Sauvin, even they say to use it "judiciously".
http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/nelson_sauvin.html

Goddamn Kiwis with their rotten fruit flavored hops.

I don't hate Nelson, though... it's just that about every brewery has something going on with it and half of them taste exactly the same!

I will go on record as saying Zeus is underrated--so underrated, in fact, that it gets grouped into a lineage it is not: http://beerlegends.com/zeus-hops
Zeus Hops, although genetically different, gets shuffled into the CTZ group of Hops. CTZ stands for Columbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus.
I wish I could find "Zeus" hops again, but everything I find is "Columbus."

I'm one of those that gets "cat piss" from Simcoe, so mark that up as overrated for me. I've wondered if it's the high myrcene content, and have avoided some others, perhaps unfairly, for that reason.

This thread is great for making me realize how many hops I need to try. Need to break the Cascade-as-house-hop attitude. Not that there's anything wrong with Cascade!

Back