Cheap pump and FDA approved 12v 100c

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a dumb question. I have the pump and it has 2 wires coming out of it. I can see that i need to buy a 12v power supply. What do i need to buy to connect the power supply to the 2 wires coming out of the pump? thanks.

Once you have the power supply, cut the end off that has the plug for the speakers/ laptop/phone/whatever, and pull the two wires apart. You'll next need to determine which is the positive wire. It's usually the one with the writing on the sheathing. Just strip that wire and connect it to the red wire on the pump. I just twisted the two together and taped it up, but it would be better to crimp the two together. Connect the black wire from the pump to the other wire from the power supply, and you're done.

Something to consider: I burned through a 1.5A power supply in about ten minutes. Pick up at least a 2A supply if you don't want to keep replacing them. Also, I have a 4A supply on my first pump, and with that the pump will move liquid at least 2-3 ft vertically, so go big on the supply.

I used the Lightobject pump for 2 brews on my new RIMS system. Couple observations...

• Had a hard time getting the 1/2" tubing to stay on the front. Even clamped, it still had issues. It came off during one of my runs and made a decent mess.
  • The pump did not mount well to my stand. The base is small, and I was unable to come up with a good way to attach it to my setup.
  • The pump seems to be degrading. It handled the small amounts of grain while recirculating, but when I clean the system with PBW, the motor *seemed* to clog and made a high-pitch squealing noise. I'm nervous about starting a third batch without a backup plan.

Since I already have my Arduino driving the pump through a MOSFET with a 12v power supply, I didn't want to switch to a AC pump w/ the added expense of a relay. Thanks to RichBenn's suggestion of the the Topsflo TS5, I found the specs and saw that it was made with food grade plastic, brass inlet/outlet and Viton o-rings. I just ordered one and I will post back as soon as I test it. Although I was fairly happy with the speed of the Lightobject pump, I'm excited that the new one will be almost twice as fast (AND 1/2" NPT IN/OUT!)

Hello.

This is how i mounted the 12V pumps.
I tried my first brew and they worked great.

IMG_20121017_182729.jpg

IMG_20121109_134432.jpg

My brother-in-law and I ordered 2 of these:

SS TS5 15PV NPT

US Solar Pumps supplies pumps with stainless steel threaded 1/2" NPT for home brewers.

To power them we are working on building two adjustable voltage regulated power supplies. We've already ordered the parts and I will let you guys know how everything works out. The goal is to have an adjustable voltage that will eliminate the need for a restriction ball valve on the "Out" side of the pump. :mug:

I have one of the pumps from the OP and have been using it for several brews on my new HLT to recirc and fill the MLT, so it only sees water. I have it hooked to a 1amp rated supply. It is attached to 1/2 silicone hose for the inlet from the valve on the HLT and 3/8 silicone hose on the outlet to either the top of the HLT to recirc or MLT to fill. It seems to move quite enough water for me for a dough in on 30lbs of grain I don't notice a difference between it and when I was using gravity and all 1/2" lines. Trouble is, I can no longer find another little jewel such as this for recirc on my new MLT or as a spare...

Mine looks just like the big one in post 36 - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-pump-fda-approved-12v-100c-337933/index4.html#post4221980. The bigger valve is smooth, so I am not sure how I'd attach tubing and have it stay on. It makes me a little nervous to pump 190F water through it.

Post 127 be another pump with threads or something - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-pump-fda-approved-12v-100c-337933/index13.html#post4638559

I've got the pump from your first link. 1/2" silicone hose with a worm clamp has worked great for 6 batches since I got it.

The only things these pumps struggle with is any kind of debris. Even Irish moss at the end of the boil will get stuck at the inlet and not pass through. I use hop bags and I've started to grind up my irish moss in a spice grinder. That fixed the issue.

I've got the pump from your first link. 1/2" silicone hose with a worm clamp has worked great for 6 batches since I got it.

The only things these pumps struggle with is any kind of debris. Even Irish moss at the end of the boil will get stuck at the inlet and not pass through. I use hop bags and I've started to grind up my irish moss in a spice grinder. That fixed the issue.

have u ran that hot of strike water through it?

My brother-in-law and I ordered 2 of these:

SS TS5 15PV NPT

US Solar Pumps supplies pumps with stainless steel threaded 1/2" NPT for home brewers.

To power them we are working on building two adjustable voltage regulated power supplies. We've already ordered the parts and I will let you guys know how everything works out. The goal is to have an adjustable voltage that will eliminate the need for a restriction ball valve on the "Out" side of the pump. :mug:

I am thinking about ordering one of these from US Solar. Have you been happy with them?

Thanks,
Robert

Depends on what you plan to use it for. I have 2 1500W elements (one in kettle and one in RIMS tube). I was using them both to get my wort to boil and the pump started flaking out. I thought I had this situation covered in my software, but apparently made a mistake. Wort was scorched; element, fried. I never quite figured out why it would occasionally stop working, but my 2 guesses were overheating or clog. I'm leaning toward the first, since the mash went really well and there is a better chance for a clog during that stage.

I ended up buying an AC chugger pump and couldn't be happier. I was definitely hoping to find a cheaper alternative using these DC pumps, but it never worked out for me.

Hope this helps.

Depends on what you plan to use it for. I have 2 1500W elements (one in kettle and one in RIMS tube). I was using them both to get my wort to boil and the pump started flaking out. I thought I had this situation covered in my software, but apparently made a mistake. Wort was scorched; element, fried. I never quite figured out why it would occasionally stop working, but my 2 guesses were overheating or clog. I'm leaning toward the first, since the mash went really well and there is a better chance for a clog during that stage.

I ended up buying an AC chugger pump and couldn't be happier. I was definitely hoping to find a cheaper alternative using these DC pumps, but it never worked out for me.

Hope this helps.

Hmm that is a bit concerning... My plan was to mainly use it to transfer Spare water to the Mash Tun and Mash running's to my Brew Kettle. Oh and this is small 6 gal batches.

Thanks,
Robert

Hope this helps.

broni, did you have the 12v or 6v pump the op mentioned or another type?

I'm considering one of these for a single vessel RIMS, BIAG setup. I was hoping it could be used with a counter flow chiller but that might be asking for too much.

I tried both the 12v Lightobject pump and the 12v solar pump. Both had issues during the boil (I was using the RIMS tube element to help get the wort to boil).

I'm now switching to my setup to HERMS, so I will use one of these pumps to circulate the water in my heat exchanger, which should stay in the 150 to 170 degree range.

I just wanted to share that I purchased two of the "larger" 12V pumps but I will be returning them.

For a simple liquid transfer from one container to another the pump wasn't strong enough to pull in the liquid from the container. All it would do is cavitate.

I tried siphoning liquid to the pump, and cutting the hoses REALLY short and it just wasn't happening.

Pretty disappointed! :(

I just wanted to share that I purchased two of the "larger" 12V pumps but I will be returning them.

For a simple liquid transfer from one container to another the pump wasn't strong enough to pull in the liquid from the container. All it would do is cavitate.

I tried siphoning liquid to the pump, and cutting the hoses REALLY short and it just wasn't happening.

Pretty disappointed! :(

Pumps push much better than they pull. Was your pump below the bottom of the vessel you were transferring from?

I have used the smaller version, the 6 volt one for about 10 brews and they work great. I have it for a small setup where I typically do 3 gallon brews. I use 4 of them hot water to mash tun, Mashtun to boiler, and two to circulate hot water and mash

You do need to put them low, I have mine about 6 inches below the pots.

I control them all with a 4 relay USB switch (Phidget), and by putting my Mashtun on USB scale it was a breeze to fully automate all the pumping of the mash process.

Any thoughts on this pump. Its on the us solar pumps web site. Seems like it will fit my needs. http://www.ussolarpumps.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_28&products_id=16

this is the description. at the bottom it says it can be made food grade.

We offer 2 TL - C07 pump models. Please see data sheets on left for dimensions and specifications of each model. Big power in a small package! Features:
Suitable for submersed or non submersed use
Max. water head 6'7" or 9'10" according to model
Expected longevity of 20,000 hours
Liquid temperatures up to 100°C / 212 F.
Low power consumption & maintenance free brushless motor
20cm / 8" wire, red +ve, black -ve
M21 Screw thread inlet & outlet fittings
Very quiet <35dB at 1m distance
NOT self priming and must not run dry to avoid damage
Advanced magnetically coupled technology, lifetime no leakage
Ceramic shaft, no damage if impeller jams
Heavy duty for 24/7 work load
By special order these pumps can be made with additional features:
Food Grade
Electronic modification for direct connection to solar panels
24V option

Thoughts?

Has anyone used and submersed the submersible ones from lightobject? I am contemplating making a HEX coil in an electric water/tea kettle and was thinking I could just plop the 6v one right into the electric kettle to keep the water moving around?

redXstripe said:
How did you manage to get a flow? I was trying to.xfer from one carboy to another and had no success! Do you think it worked for you due to some gravity back pressure?

Yes, like any pump, (these are not vacuums) once it's primed it's fine. You will have to have it gravity fed or create some kind of suction on the out end to start the siphon.

i ordered one of these pumps and it came in last night. Wiring up with a power supply that i THINK matched, and it wont work. What did you use for power?

Never mind - i had my wiring backwards

d_striker said:
I am an idiot when it comes to electricity. I just picked up the 12V pump. Can I use a 5V, 2.5A power supply?

No. Find a proper 12v power supply. Shouldn't be that hard.

Back