new at kegging homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troybar

Reaction score
How long after secondary should I go to keg.
Its a 3 gallon keg with co2 whitch meens no primming right ?

You really don't need to secondary (in the vast majority of cases). A keg is essentially a secondary vessel in it of itself. Either way, it's all up to you. I generally do primary fermentation for 10-14 days and then rack into a keg.

No need for priming sugar if you plan on force carbing with CO2. There are plenty of decent threads talking about the quick carbing vs set it and forget it force carbing. I'd recommend you read those.

Keg it when it becomes clear. Use gelatin if you need to. And I don't prime kegs with sugar because I don't want sediment in the bottom. All CO2. Kegging is the bomb.

Is it possible to use a keg with just primming

Yes, you can prime the beer in your keg just as you do for bottling. Seal it up, purge the oxygen and fill the head space with CO2 and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Hook it up to the CO2 and chill and you're ready to go.

The first glass or two might be full of yeast sediment, just keep pouring them until the beer clears.

Pappers_ said:
Yes, you can prime the beer in your keg just as you do for bottling. Seal it up, purge the oxygen and fill the head space with CO2 and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Hook it up to the CO2 and chill and you're ready to go.

The first glass or two might be full of yeast sediment, just keep pouring them until the beer clears.

Or the keg runs out

Back