Reusing Yeast, Lager yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So quick question for people that brew lagers, is re-using lager yeast different than ale yeast. The reason I ask is because I was looking at the White Labs website, and it is saying that the yeast in its first generation is typically slower than subsequent generations for the WLP 820. So to me it sounded like they were encouraging people to re-use the yeast. But I didn't know if there were different rules to re-using lager yeast as opposed to ale yeast because lagers are kept at cooler temperatures so maybe subsequent generations are better than the original?

There shouldn't be any difference. I have heard the commercial guys will go about 20 generations then pitch new, but they are turning those generations over in a much shorter timeframe than we usually can.

EDIT: By "generations" I mean batches.

I was quoted by the local brewery in saying that they reuse their lager yeast 6 times, and their ale yeast up.to 10.

thanks guys, what I think I may do is I may freeze the Lager yeast using glycol, and then try a batch out that way.

Back