Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
centex99 said:
Mine looked fairly dark in fermentor and then much lighter in bottle...
How light was it when you took of sample in tube?

This is why you don't drink and brew (yeah right)

It did look much lighter. Not at all like in the ferm .....

image-2946515658.jpg

Finally broke this out tonight for a family get together and to say it was a hit would be an understatement. We killed 1/3 of the batch without even trying! Really delicious! This will be a staple brew at my house and I'll need to get 10G going soon for the summer since my 5G will be gone before I know it. Thanks!

I made two batches a couple weeks ago. Extract. The first OG was about the same. I topped it off to 5.5 gal. The second I topped off to only 5 gal. It hit 1.044, I believe.

I'll be interesting to compare them side by side...

I brewed this as my first AG batch... everything seemed to go OK and I hit my temps as far as I know although I don't really trust my thermometer... I got 5.5 gallons on the dot and OG was 1.040 so I thought everything was good. I pitched yeast and had it fermenting at around 65 degree (ambient temp) for 2 weeks. When I was getting ready to bottle, I took a FG and it was 1.020??? That means this beer is only going to be ~2.6% ABV...

I'm not sure what I did wrong but this is discouraging me from doing any more AG batches. Could my mash temp have been too high? extracting a lot of unfermentable sugars? or maybe bad yeast?

Since you already doubt your thermometer, that would be my guess as to where the problem lies. Highly doubt its the yeast - clearly some cells were viable since you fermented from 1.040 to 1.020, and those viable cells would have kept reproducing in the presence of fermentables.

jmf143 said:
Since you already doubt your thermometer, that would be my guess as to where the problem lies. Highly doubt its the yeast - clearly some cells were viable since you fermented from 1.040 to 1.020, and those viable cells would have kept reproducing in the presence of fermentables.

I just did a batch Saturday ..... my mash was warm too. So if this happens to me os there any way to fix it and boost the abv? Add sugar, dme, vodka lol ?

So I was worried about my high mash temp and unfermentable sugars.
1.041 OG
I just took a reading and was at 1.010. I just brewed if on Saturday. Nottingham worked quick.

It tastes kind of bland maybe I screwed something up. ????
Maybe ill dryhop???

glacerais said:
I'm not sure what I did wrong but this is discouraging me from doing any more AG batches. Could my mash temp have been too high? extracting a lot of unfermentable sugars? or maybe bad yeast?

Hey! First AG attempt and you're discouraged from doing more? C'mon man! Did you jump on a bike and ride around the block the first time? If everyone who MIGHT have screwed up a batch decided not to do it again, well, this forum would be dead. Everyone one of us has screwed up at times, whether by own fault or not. Just jump back up, rub some spit on that skinned knee, and get back up on the bike.

Hey! First AG attempt and you're discouraged from doing more? C'mon man! Did you jump on a bike and ride around the block the first time? If everyone who MIGHT have screwed up a batch decided not to do it again, well, this forum would be dead. Everyone one of us has screwed up at times, whether by own fault or not. Just jump back up, rub some spit on that skinned knee, and get back up on the bike.

HAHA! Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably try again this weekend with a better thermometer.

I was thinking about adding some corn sugar to the first batch to boost alcohol to a reasonable level. I took a sample and it doesn't taste bad so maybe its salvageable? any ideas how much I could add without affecting the flavor too much? according to brewtarget, I can add about 1.5lbs and bring it up to almost 4% ABV.

I would boil up some LME or even DME. Add that and let it go for a week. The sugar your going to add maybe alittle to much and change the taste alot. I never use more then 12oz of sugar.

So I was worried about my high mash temp and unfermentable sugars.
1.041 OG
I just took a reading and was at 1.010. I just brewed if on Saturday. Nottingham worked quick.

It tastes kind of bland maybe I screwed something up. ????
Maybe ill dryhop???

The hop flavors will come through after bottling/kegging; they are masked a bit by the yeast in suspension from me experience. I am going to up the flavor additions the next time that I brew this to get a bit something more for my tastes. As is, this is a very solid recipe and enjoyed by BMC drinkers and home brewers alike.

pvtschultz said:
The hop flavors will come through after bottling/kegging; they are masked a bit by the yeast in suspension from me experience. I am going to up the flavor additions the next time that I brew this to get a bit something more for my tastes. As is, this is a very solid recipe and enjoyed by BMC drinkers and home brewers alike.

Ok well in 2 weeks ill take a sample if its not hoppy enough ill dryhop for a couple days...... my OG sample I tasted was crazy hoppy because I forgot my hopscreen so I had tons of hop funk in the sample.

I just bottled this and it tastes great. I anticipate a great summer quaffer here. I dry hopped with some leftover centennial & cascade and it has a great aroma. Gonna try it in a couple weeks.

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
7.00 lbs 80.00 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
0.75 lbs 8.57 % Cara-Pils/Dextrine 60 mins 1.033
0.50 lbs 5.71 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L 60 mins 1.035
0.50 lbs 5.71 % Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.25 ozs 9.27 Centennial 40 mins 11.80
0.25 ozs 8.12 Centennial 30 mins 11.80
0.25 ozs 4.23 Cascade 20 mins 7.80
0.25 ozs 1.39 Cascade 5 mins 7.80

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05

ok after one week in the primary my sample tastes blah and very bitter..... i dont know what happend, too high of a mash temp?
and to top it off i decideed to dry hop to give it some aroma and maybe make it drinkable . and i lost suction while racking and ened up with aout 3gl.

i managed to screw up an "easy beer "

ok after one week in the primary my sample tastes blah and very bitter..... i dont know what happend, too high of a mash temp?
and to top it off i decideed to dry hop to give it some aroma and maybe make it drinkable . and i lost suction while racking and ened up with aout 3gl.

i managed to screw up an "easy beer "

Don't give up. Centennial hops go through a substantial transition at about week #2. And that "blah" will be replaced with "ah" once better conditioned and properly carbonated.

BierMuncher said:
Don't give up. Centennial hops go through a substantial transition at about week #2. And that "blah" will be replaced with "ah" once better conditioned and properly carbonated.

Ok well Im going to have to brew it again. Because this batch has been a disaster. I now have 3.5gl of it dry hopped with .75cenn and
. 25 cascade.
Its gunna be interesting

Brewed the extract version below of this CBA for my SWMBO as she really likes Golden / Blonde Ales, as do I in the muggy warmer months here in SE VA. brewed on March 16 left in primary for 3 weeks and bottled yesterday. OG @ 1046 & FG @ 1010, gotta say color is a golden straw color and hydro sample tasted fabulous. Light and sessional although with a noticeable hop flavor and pleasant mouthfeel. As many before me have stated thanks for the recipe and I can't wait until its fully ready to drink in the next couple of weeks.

LHBS did not have the recommend yeast so went with the WLP001.

Centennial Blonde

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Extra Light Liquid Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.33 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 vial WLP-001 Cali Ale Yeast

I find myself playing with this all the time; I am did a side by side
4.00 lb Extra DME
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.50 lb Vienna Malt
0.5 oz Hops (55 min)
0.5 oz Hops (35 min)
0.5 oz Hops (20 min)
0.5 oz Hops (5 min)

The two hops I went with this time where Citra and Amarillo, single offering, everything else was the same. The water amount, grains, yeast and times. It was nice to see that the brix also came in at 12, with just one a little and one a little below the 12 line. Now just to set for two weeks and off to the kegs.

This time NO honey, last couple times I dropped in up to one pound of honey and it dried it out way to much for me.

indios40 said:
Brewed the extract version below of this CBA for my SWMBO as she really likes Golden / Blonde Ales, as do I in the muggy warmer months here in SE VA. brewed on March 16 left in primary for 3 weeks and bottled yesterday. OG @ 1046 & FG @ 1010, gotta say color is a golden straw color and hydro sample tasted fabulous. Light and sessional although with a noticeable hop flavor and pleasant mouthfeel. As many before me have stated thanks for the recipe and I can't wait until its fully ready to drink in the next couple of weeks.

LHBS did not have the recommend yeast so went with the WLP001.

Centennial Blonde

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Extra Light Liquid Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.33 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 vial WLP-001 Cali Ale Yeast

Forgot to put in the .5 pound of C10 & Vienna malt in the above, so much with copying and pasting on this new ipad

Gear101 said:
I find myself playing with this all the time; I am did a side by side
4.00 lb Extra DME
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.50 lb Vienna Malt
0.5 oz Hops (55 min)
0.5 oz Hops (35 min)
0.5 oz Hops (20 min)
0.5 oz Hops (5 min)

The two hops I went with this time where Citra and Amarillo, single offering, everything else was the same. The water amount, grains, yeast and times. It was nice to see that the brix also came in at 12, with just one a little and one a little below the 12 line. Now just to set for two weeks and off to the kegs.

This time NO honey, last couple times I dropped in up to one pound of honey and it dried it out way to much for me.

I just did 11gal all grain with citra and Amarillo as well today! Keep me posted on how yours turns out and I will do the same. I also used wyeast 1332 northwest ale.

I just did 11gal all grain with citra and Amarillo as well today! Keep me posted on how yours turns out and I will do the same. I also used wyeast 1332 northwest ale.

I used a WL 001, made a 1200ml starter and spilt it, and took off in about 5-6 hours.

Will post pics, last time I made this it was in the kegs in 14 days and I was drinking it 3 days after that.

This is the first beer I kegged ( in the kegerator right now) I have made it and bottled it a few times in the past. The longer it sets in the keg the better it gets. my BMC drinking friends LOVE it. My brew stand should be done in a couple of days and this will probably be the first or second beer brewed on that. I have tweaked the recipe a few times and messed with it here and there but the original is the best of the ones I have made.

After a 20 year hiatus from HB, I have been looking for simple recipes to refresh and hone my skills. This was my 4th extract recipe within the last 2 months and I have been advancing my technique such as controlling ferment temps, rehydrating yeast, and oxygenation of the wort with O2. I used a whirloc tablet as prescribed, yet when I racked this to my secondary it was extremely cloudy/hazy. I hope cold crashing it for a couple of days will settle things out.

So it brings me to question the use of carapils. I understand it is utilized to increase the body/mouthfeel and aid in head retention, but not for color or flavor. While I did steep this, I have been reading conflicting reports as to whether this grain can be steeped or needs to be mashed, and should be used with other diastatic grains (i.e., 2 Row, Pilsner) in order to complete the starch reactions properly. Briess's website stated it can be steeped. So what is the real story, especially relating to this recipe? And by steeping did that contributed to the cloudy/hazy appearance.? Any assistance is appreciated.

After a 20 year hiatus from HB, I have been looking for simple recipes to refresh and hone my skills. This was my 4th extract recipe within the last 2 months and I have been advancing my technique such as controlling ferment temps, rehydrating yeast, and oxygenation of the wort with O2. I used a whirloc tablet as prescribed, yet when I racked this to my secondary it was extremely cloudy/hazy. I hope cold crashing it for a couple of days will settle things out.

So it brings me to question the use of carapils. I understand it is utilized to increase the body/mouthfeel and aid in head retention, but not for color or flavor. While I did steep this, I have been reading conflicting reports as to whether this grain can be steeped or needs to be mashed, and should be used with other diastatic grains (i.e., 2 Row, Pilsner) in order to complete the starch reactions properly. Briess's website stated it can be steeped. So what is the real story, especially relating to this recipe? And by steeping did that contributed to the cloudy/hazy appearance.? Any assistance is appreciated.

Its a specialty grain, you do not mash it nor convert the starches. It is for body and mouthfeel. http://byo.com/stories/wizard/article/section/121-mr-wizard/1619-what-is-carapils-and-what-are-those-other-qcaraq-malts

This was my first all-grain recipe. Good beer although not my style -- definitely a crowd pleaser though. A few weeks in the keg definitely does it some good and smooths it out.

My only complaint is the head -- it is pretty much non-existent. Might be due to my process but I'd probably replace the CaraPils with wheat -- I find it works better for head retention in my setup.

I'll definitely brew again; but I'll bottle next time so it can go to BBQs and other events.

This was my first all-grain recipe. Good beer although not my style -- definitely a crowd pleaser though. A few weeks in the keg definitely does it some good and smooths it out.

My only complaint is the head -- it is pretty much non-existent. Might be due to my process but I'd probably replace the CaraPils with wheat -- I find it works better for head retention in my setup.

I'll definitely brew again; but I'll bottle next time so it can go to BBQs and other events.

My last batch didn't start getting really good head until after 4-5 weeks of conditioning after bottling. I had one 12 pack left that I had left out to bottle condition at ~65 degrees until recently. Every one of them gives a solid 2-3 inches of head when poured and maintains ~1/4" for the whole glass.

look at the yeast in the blow off bucket.. LOL

I ahve to clean that up alittle..

My last batch didn't start getting really good head until after 4-5 weeks of conditioning after bottling. I had one 12 pack left that I had left out to bottle condition at ~65 degrees until recently. Every one of them gives a solid 2-3 inches of head when poured and maintains ~1/4" for the whole glass.

The keg is already chilled and tapped -- should I let it sit in the fridge and tie up a tap for 3-4 weeks or should I take it back out to room temp to condition?

The same thing happened on my first attempt for this beer. I used a 1L starter of 001

I made the same yeast start off some that I washed awhile back, and split it, so that is 500 a piece, and off like a rocket. 0_o

I made the same yeast start off some that I washed awhile back, and split it, so that is 500 a piece, and off like a rocket. 0_o

I hate wasting beer. I figure fermcap will pay for itself x ten compared to the money I lose on wasted beer.

I'm drinking mine that was brewed 3 weeks ago and it is very good. I used wlp002 that has left a bit of chill haze so its a little bit yeasty but not much.

Back